MD WAMC: ORM, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.29, MCAT 509, non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spectre1520

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to recieve some advice for my MD school list (I already applied and submitted secondaries to 13 DO schools, with already one interview, so no point in listing those). This is my first cycle applying.

1. GPA according to AMCAS: sGPA 3.29, cGPA 3.61, Postbac sGPA 3.56

2. MCAT 509 (129/124/127/129)

3. Arizona resident, but majority of life and experiences have been in California

4. Ethnicity/Race: Indian Asian

5. Undergrad: UC Riverside (nonscience major), Postbac: Loyola Marymount University

6. Clinical experience:
Current scribe for the last 7 months (300 hours).
Current volunteer at Mayo Clinic (75 hours)
Volunteered at UCLA hospital (180 hours)
COVID 19 contact tracing (120 hours)

7. Research: Did a semester of research in a microbiology lab during post-bacc

8. Shadowing: Family Med (DO) in CA for 80 hours (LOR)

9. Non-clinical volunteering: Homeless shelter and food pantry (120 hours)

10. Leadership: Served on an advisory board to chancellor at my undergrad for 2 years

11. Honors: Chancellor's Dean Honors List for final year (deans list for 3 quarters in a row)

12. LORs: Committee letter including postbac advisor, 2 science, 1 nonscience, 2 doctors (DO and MD), and homeless shelter coordinator

13. Miscellaneous: First gen, finished college 1 year early.

Current school list:
University of California, Riverside
University of California, Davis
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, Irvine
University of California, San Diego
Kaiser (only takes 50 people)
California University of Science and Med
USC Keck
Loma Linda
UofA Phoenix
Tulane
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Creighton
Temple
Loyola Stritch
Mayo Alix
Warren Alpert (reach but have personal connection to RI)
George Washington
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Oakland University William Beaumont
Robert Larner Vermont
University of Iowa
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
St Louis University of Med
Medical College of Wisconsin

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I had similar MCAT and slightly higher GPA than you applying 5 years ago. Some schools on your list screen out ppl who don't get 125 subscores on mcat. Unless u from northern California, don't bother with Davis.

I had similar MCAT and slightly higher GPA than you applying 5 years ago. Some schools on your list screen out ppl who don't get 125 subscores on mcat. Unless u from northern California, don't bother with Davis.
Thanks! I've been told Creighton screens out people with <125, but I emailed them about this and they said they only have a minimum screening of 500 for the total score and no subsection cutoff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of the California schools are unrealistic with your stats. UC Davis only admits 1 or 2 non residents each year and UC Riverside zero.. I suggest these schools:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
You are competitive for all DO schools

Many of the California schools are unrealistic with your stats. UC Davis only admits 1 or 2 non residents each year and UC Riverside zero.. I suggest these schools:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
You are competitive for all DO schools
Thank you for the suggestions! As for UC Riverside, I am an alumni and have lived in the Inland Empire for most of my life, so I’m hoping that will still give me a shot despite being currently OOS. Although I am leaning towards removing Davis.

Congratulations on the II. Keep going with your community service. You want to be at 150 or more. What's your mission fit?
Thanks! My app definitely focuses on working with underserved communities, and my II was from an Arizona school where I talked about local physician shortages.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! My app definitely focuses on working with underserved communities, and my II was from an Arizona school where I talked about local physician shortages.
You didn't exactly address my question.

Thanks! I've been told Creighton screens out people with <125, but I emailed them about this and they said they only have a minimum screening of 500 for the total score and no subsection cutoff.
at least when i applied, UCI/UCSD/UCLA all didnt have anyone under a 125 subscore in their 25 percentile matriculants thing. i forgot what you all you for med school.