MD & DO WAMC - Non-trad, Veteran, 3.93/518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel91

Reaction score
Hey everyone! As the title says, I am a non-trad applicant in my late 20s. I'm curious about my chances of applying MD. I enlisted in the US Army after completing my undergrad in biology. I'm trying to get a sense of what my chances are for the 2021-2022 cycle. I am also trying to come up with a good list of school's to apply to. My stats are:

cGPA: 3.93, sGPA 3.91, post-bacc 4.0 (30 credits)
MCAT: 518 (130, 131, 128, 129)
ORM (White male)
State of residence: NC

Clinical Experience:

• 4 years as combat medic in the US Army (1 deployment), still need to calculate exact amount of hours
  • Civilian EMT (Volunteer): 500 hours
Volunteering:
  • 200 hours hospital volunteering during undergrad (Wouldn't really consider the work I did as "clinical")
  • 200 hours at homeless shelter/food pantry
Shadowing:
  • 80 hours across IM, FM, Pediatric, Ortho
Research:
  • 500 hours public health research (1 fourth-author publication, honors thesis, all from time during undergrad degree)
One of my biggest concerns is that although my GPA looks good, my junior year was a train wreck due to some major family and financial issues. From my sophomore-junior year summer to the end of my junior year, I racked up 5 W's and 2 pass/fails (both passing), but I have since completed 68 credits of coursework with a 4.0 between my senior year of undergrad and my post-bacc (mostly in upper-level science courses, no withdrawals or pass/fails). I know that this poor stretch will not look favorable, but I am wondering how much it will hurt me in the process? These marks are from ~7 years ago, did not have an effect on my GPA (thank god), I have a legitimate reason for them, and like I said, my most recent coursework has been stellar.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UNC
East Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Tulane
St. Louis
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UNC
East Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Tulane
St. Louis
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Thank you so much for the reply! Do you think that adcoms (especially at higher tier schools) will be put off by my poor junior year (even though it didn’t affect my gpa too much)? I’ve heard mixed responses on this so I would love more insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the reply! Do you think that adcoms (especially at higher tier schools) will be put off by my poor junior year (even though it didn’t affect my gpa too much)? I’ve heard mixed responses on this so I would love more insight.
No,

You should apply to your state schools + a couple mid tiers and then aim high. Your prior experience as a combat medic is going to get you lots of interviews. Don’t sell yourself short.

If you have 100% post-9/11 GI Bill, it may be worth it to add Harvard, Yale, WashU, or Mayo. Harvard/Yale/WashU have yellow ribbon that covers full tuition, and Mayo's scholarships are not fenced for tuition. This means that if their scholarship combined with GI Bill exceeds tuition, you get the difference as a stipend.

Look up the Bass Military Scholars program at Vanderbilt (awesome) and make sure you apply Pat Tillman in February.