WAMC Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

f4l

Reaction score
I'm a non-trad student (31). When I went to college immediately after high school I wasn't very motivated and didn't really have any direction. I dropped out after my freshman year with 1.2gpa. I continued going to CC, but had similar performance for a while (with many Ws). I ended up not going to any school for a while and playing video games professionally for a few years. After dealing with some mental health issues and being diagnosed with ADHD I decided to go back to school. I was at my 4 year university for 3 years and received all A's for the last 2 years (3.9gpa). During school I worked 2 jobs to support myself (about 20-30hours/week) and participated in research (about 5-10hours/week). Due to my schedule I didn't really have time to volunteer, shadow or gain clinical experience. I had planned on applying last cycle, but due to COVID-19 I was not able to gain experience last summer (which was my plan). With all of the uncertainty I decided to enroll in a masters of finance 1 year program, since I was offered a TA position by one of my former professors that would pay for me to get a masters. It was one of the few 1 year programs offered at my university in a field that I was interested in. I know that my biggest weaknesses as an applicant are my GPA (nothing I can do about this way too many credit hours) and lack of clinical experience (I just got a shadowing job).

What should I focus on over the next year to maximize my chances of admission and where should I apply?
How can I spin my education in finance as a positive to admissions committees?
  1. cGPA: 3.18 and sGPA: 3.39
  2. MCAT score: 516 (130,128,129,129)
  3. Year in School: Graduated 2020
  4. Major: Chemistry
  5. State of residence: AZ
  6. Ethnicity: White
  7. Undergraduate institution: Large public research university
  8. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    • Just got a job as a scribe at an immunology practice
  9. Research experience and productivity:
    • 2 years of wet lab research in an analytical chemistry lab working on printable sensors (no publications)
  10. Shadowing experience:
    • None yet, trying to get some shadowing this summer/year
  11. Non-clinical volunteering:
    • All of my volunteering experience is fairly old (5+ years), I'm going to try to volunteer a bit this year
  12. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Gen Chem TA (taught chem lab) for 2 semesters - paid position
    • Organic Chemistry/Gen Chem Preceptor (held office hours and participated in class discussions) for 3 semesters
  13. Relevant honors or awards: N/A
  14. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    • Have worked as a manger in the food service industry
  15. Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
  16. Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
  17. Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

Members don't see this ad.

In the coming year you should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care and DO) and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact.
I suggest these DO schools:
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM