MD & DO WAMC+School list help, Non Trad Veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

herewego2028

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking to see what my chances are for this cycle and how my school list looks!
  1. cGPA- 3.57 and sGPA-3.76.
  2. 511 MCAT(128/126/128/129).
  3. VA Resident, Strong NY ties, Possible CA ties? (my wife is from there and all our family currently lives there).
  4. URM- Hispanic.
  5. BA in Psych from strong SUNY, attended 2015-2018, 2019-2024 (see #12), graduated in 2024 with 3.43 cGPA. Attended VA state school for all pre reqs + a couple other courses.
  6. Clinical experience(1440 hours)- BHT at a psychiatric hospital , paid- 1200 hours, Volunteer EMT, 220 hours
  7. Research- 200 hours in immunology lab. No pubs/posters.
  8. 30 shadowing hours- IM.
  9. Nonclinical volunteering (530 total): 60 hours- Student ambassador for veterans trying to get into college. 160 hours- food bank. 200 hours- volunteer youth sports coach. 110 hours landscaping at my church.
  10. Military veteran- 6 years active duty, held multiple leadership positions
  11. QMHP-T (Qualified Mental Health Professional- Trainee), I'm about 200 hours away from the official license, but I don't think I'll have it by the time I submit.
  12. I struggled in college my first 3 years, ended up with 64 credits/2.99 GPA, 8 Withdraws (two full semesters). After taking a semester off I attempted to continue my UG degree at another college and ended up withdrawing from all my classes there as well and then ultimately joined the military. This is clearly a big red flag, but I finished my BA in Psych while in the military and finished my last 56 credits with a 3.87. I completed my prereqs +2 upper level bio classes, and an English class (44 credits) with a 4.0. I took a few classes through portage learning (A&P 1/2 and Microbiology) and finished those three with a 3.5. I have LOR's from my PI, 2 science profs, 1 english prof, 1MD and 1 DO.
School list:
EVMS
VCU
TCU
Loma Linda
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
ETSU
Tulane
Roseman
Belmont
Methodist
Thomas Jefferson U
Hackensack Meridian
U of Colorado
Georgetown
GWU
Buffalo
Stony Brook
Upstate
Downstate
NYMC
Albany
UCI
Keck
Dartmouth
Cornell

ATSU
ACOM
AZCOM
CCOM
KCUCOM
KCOM
CHSU-COM
LUCOM
VCOM
LMUDCOM
NSU-KPCOM
PCOM
OCOM
NYITCOM
RVUCOM
Touro COM
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could add these MD schools to your application:
NOVA MD
Alice Walton
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Temple
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You do not need to apply to as many DO schools as you listed. Concentrate on the top tier schools and I suggest these:
ATSU
ACOM
AZCOM
CCOM
KCUCOM
VCOM
NSU-KPCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro COM