WAMC - Non-traditional student needing insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prosodymed

Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional in a DIY post-bacc after completing a M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I am 30 and looking to change careers into medicine. I was young and stupid when I began college and performed sub-par in my courses, leaving me with a terrible GPA. After taking some time off, I decided to grow up and reach my potential and went back to achieve an undergraduate degree with a 4.0 in last 2 years while taking 18-21 hours per semester, achieved a 4.0 in a 60 hour masters program and a 4.0 in 50-60 hour DIY post-bacc program. I live in Alabama and would prefer MD over DO, but am not opposed to DO.

I'm only currently looking at all Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Georgia schools. My first choice is UAB (state school).
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA:3.3, sGPA 3.6. I had a 4.0 last 2 years of undergrad, 4.0 in 2 years of grad, and 4.0 in 1.5 years DIY post-bacc which included all prereqs.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 515 even distribution
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Alabama
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White (ORM)
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): I have over 700 hours of clinical hours via my M.S. which includes over 400 hours of working with mental health clients face to face, 1 on 1. I also worked as a PCT for 1.5 years part-time (24 hours/week), but don't know if this counts towards anything.
  6. Research experience and productivity: Research Assistant in grad school for 2 years, led research team for 1 year. 2 high-profile poster presentations as first author and 1 oral presentation as first author. Currently editing manuscript for 1 pub as 2nd author.
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 100 hours, 30 emergency, 30 primary care, 40 ortho
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: ~800 hours total. Worked 4 summers at a youth camp as activities director. Deliver meals to shut-ins and elderly during thanksgiving a Christmas for past 3 years. Work with local church to conduct service projects twice per month at various locations. Lead singing for small church service at local retirement home. Conduct mock interviews with undergraduate social work majors each semester of grad school. Aided university, while in grad school, compile information needed to maintain SACS Accreditation.
  9. Extracurricular activities: Rock climbing and backpacking in abundance. I was an officer in a social club for 2 years in undergrad. I taught a research methods writing course for undergraduate psychology majors. I played intramural sports (football, softball, volleyball, basketball) for 3 years of undergrad. I give baseball lessons to children and adolescents.
  10. Relevant honors or awards: Various small awards for research and academic leadership
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important: My first stint in college, while I did need to grow up, I also was living with my parents and commuting. I changed to a different religion than the one I was raised in and my parents kicked me out of the house because of my religion with nothing. I was homeless, working 100 hrs./week to get food and clothes and still trying to go to school. I do not think this is an excuse, but I believe it does shed light on the broader context of the situation.
Any insight or advice would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your best chances are your 2 Alabama state public schools. Schools in the other states you mentioned are not good choices. For example, Mississippi and Mercer accept zero non residents. I suggest these schools also:
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont

Reactions: 1 users
Do I have a legitimate chance at M.D. schools or should I focus on D.O.?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have a legitimate chance at M.D. schools or should I focus on D.O.?
With a 515 MCAT you certainly should receive some MD interviews. You could also apply to several DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. You have VCOM and ACOM in Alabama.

Thanks for the input thus far. What weaknesses can I improve upon for the rest of my app to better my chances? Also, what category would a Graduate Assistantship fall under?

@Goro This looks like a pretty solid reinvention, and there's a lot of academic excellence (100+ credits of 4.0) and good reasons for the early low grades. ECs are also excellent. Any suggestions for an MD school list?

@Goro This looks like a pretty solid reinvention, and there's a lot of academic excellence (100+ credits of 4.0) and good reasons for the early low grades. ECs are also excellent. Any suggestions for an MD school list?
@BlackMathMajor How much will my more recent academic record work to offset my earlier record, realistically?

It will do a lot for you; adcoms will have no doubts about your academic ability, that's for sure. Your MCAT might not make you Harvard material, but you might have a shot at places like Columbia or Duke; they reward reinvention and come-from-behind stories. Apply to mid tier MDs, your state schools, DO schools, and any top-tier schools that reward reinvention. Goro can give you a better list. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro It seems you may have good, further insight into an MD/DO school list. If so, I'm all ears.