WAMC Non traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entdreams47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying this cycle looking for some guidance

Non trad chemistry teacher with some other odd jobs mixed in
~1000 clinical hours in 3 settings
Lots of volunteering overall (from college) but only about 200 hours the last few years
3.5 science/3.6 cumulative from top undergrad
515 mcat 129/128/128/130
ORM but first generation student
One year research with 5 pubs (2 first authors)
Strong “story” of why medicine

WAMC if I’m only interested in MD? Quite worried about my gpa because I don’t have a strong upward trend. Im not in a “friendly” state of residence. I was thinking of taking a few more classes this summer before applying if you think it would help or is SMP necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?

Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?
All of my clinical was volunteer. Total is about 1000 hours of patient contact. About 100-120 hours of shadowing but no primary care :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry NY state of residence. Could maybe change it before applying since my parents have another house down south

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
You do not need to do a SMP. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a good shot I'd say.

Apply to all your instate schools: All SUNYs, Albany, Rochester, Hofstra, NYMC, Einstein. Then look into the schools Faha suggests. Apply broadly ~25 schools.

Reactions: 1 user