WAMC - Nontraditional, 1st time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneDayMore

Reaction score
Hello all!

I’m seeking some insight into my chances of admission this application cycle and would appreciate any advice you can offer on the application process. Sorry for the incoming novel!

I think my most significant concerns are number of veterinary experience hours, less than stellar first year undergrad grades, a and a possible C in organic chemistry 2, so any insight or advice regarding those concerns is especially appreciated.

I am nearly 30 and left my job as an attorney to pursue vet med. Specifically, I want to be an equine vet. I’m currently in a post-bacc program finishing up prerequisites.

My stats:
Undergraduate degree in English literature, GPA: 3.4
Law school GPA (not sure if this matters): 3.49
Post-bacc GPA: currently 3.8, but I’m expecting it to take a hit from a possible C in organic chemistry 2 if the ACS exam goes poorly
I have not taken the GRE yet.

Schools I’m applying to:
Illinois (my in-state and would be my top choice)
Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota
I’m also open to suggestions for other schools I may be overlooking.

Veterinary Experience:
~500 hours working at an equine rehabilitation clinic: kind of a mix of care/chores and more “directly” veterinary things (administering therapies, IM/oral meds, taking TPRs, holding for procedures, helping with x-rays, etc) but all under the direction/supervision of a veterinarian. I’m sort of uncertain how to better quantify these hours.

~ 50 hours shadowing a shelter vet/observing surgeries (spays/neuters, dentals, mass removals, hernia repair, and a necropsy)

Upcoming experience:
~ 100 hours shadowing/assisting an ambulatory equine vet, with possibility for more hours

I can also likely get more hours at the rehab clinic as well, but additional hours for both experiences depend on my summer class schedule.

Animal experience:
5000 + hours: Animal care staff (paid) at a therapeutic riding center, primarily barn chores and caring for horses but also cared for livestock species (cows, goats, sheep, pigs, poultry) and some small animals (cats, rabbits, Guinea pigs).

Non-veterinary Professional Experience
- Associate attorney (practiced insurance defense), 1 year
- Law clerk/legal intern, 2 years (insurance defense firm)
- Special education teacher aide, 2 years

Volunteer/extracurricular experiences:
15 years showing my personal horse, taking riding lessons
200 + hours: Coaching a Special Olympics equestrian team

My concerns:
1) Low and non-diverse veterinary experience hours. My problem is that I really enjoy equine vet med, so I’ve been jumping at every opportunity to get more experience there, but that means I have much less time for small animal, etc. I’m only taking one class in the fall, so I’ll have more time to accumulate hours in other areas of vet med. I expect to have to apply for a second cycle after this one, but I’m also nearly 30 and feel like I need to apply this cycle since I’m not getting any younger and I’ll have all my prerequisites finished.

2) My first year of undergrad was really rough. I got horrible grades (D, WF) in general chemistry and calculus and bad to mediocre (C’s, B’s) grades in other classes. This was 12 years ago, I was immature and did not handle being away from home well at all. I feel it no longer reflects my abilities as a student. I switched majors, transferred schools, and got straight A’s my senior year of college. I did well in law school, but I’m not sure if that counts for much here.

3) The above is why I’m really concerned if I end up with a C in orgo 2. I got a B in orgo 1 and have gotten all A’s in my other post-bacc classes. Getting a C in orgo 2 really worries me because we’re taking the ACS exam as our final and this professor will not curve it. I’m only taking three more classes (two this summer, one in the fall), so this will be part of my last 45 GPA.

Thank you for reading, if you’ve reached the end of this novel! As I said, I’d appreciate any advice or insight anyone has to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Overall I think you’re on the right track. I don’t think your hours are as big of an issue as you might think. Although diverse is good, there is a need for equine vets and I think schools will see that. Maybe shadow at an emergency clinic or small animal place if you have time this summer.
For the hours you can estimate, but make sure you don’t over estimate. Although schools don’t generally ‘check’ it’s not good to do that.
Your lower grades from years ago are over 10 years ago, not sure if some schools look at that or not. I believe some schools don’t look/ focus at grades from that long ago/ over 10 years, but need to check your specific schools you’re applying to. Especially since things change like you have mentioned. As long as your other classes are good grades, I wouldn’t worry about the organic chem too much. I didn’t do too great on organic chemistry either.
I would say to make sure you spend a good amount of time and effort into your personal statement and essays to really show and not tell why you made the career change. They may wonder why you want vet med from lawyer. But vet schools do like diverse backgrounds and you bring a lot of unique qualities which I think they will look highly on.
Definitely apply to your in state for sure. I would also add on Ohio state. I just finished my first year there and they do accept non traditional and I think they value non trad and those that want equine.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you're interested in Minnesota you should look at the 2+2 program between South Dakota and Minnesota. It's geared towards rural medicine and you spend the first 2 years at SD and then transfer to Minnesota to complete years 3 and 4.

If the rest of your pre-requisite and science grades are good I won't stress a C in the Ochem, I got an acceptance off the waitlist from Iowa this year, only got a C in the third part of Ochem and oringinally got a D in the second part (subsequently repeated the 2nd one with an A). Obviously a higher grade would be better but it shouldn't make or break your application all by itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall I think you’re on the right track. I don’t think your hours are as big of an issue as you might think. Although diverse is good, there is a need for equine vets and I think schools will see that. Maybe shadow at an emergency clinic or small animal place if you have time this summer.
For the hours you can estimate, but make sure you don’t over estimate. Although schools don’t generally ‘check’ it’s not good to do that.
Your lower grades from years ago are over 10 years ago, not sure if some schools look at that or not. I believe some schools don’t look/ focus at grades from that long ago/ over 10 years, but need to check your specific schools you’re applying to. Especially since things change like you have mentioned. As long as your other classes are good grades, I wouldn’t worry about the organic chem too much. I didn’t do too great on organic chemistry either.
I would say to make sure you spend a good amount of time and effort into your personal statement and essays to really show and not tell why you made the career change. They may wonder why you want vet med from lawyer. But vet schools do like diverse backgrounds and you bring a lot of unique qualities which I think they will look highly on.
Definitely apply to your in state for sure. I would also add on Ohio state. I just finished my first year there and they do accept non traditional and I think they value non trad and those that want equine.
Thank you for the reply! It eases my mind that the past grades may not be as big a concern as I though, especially if I make it clear that those grades don’t reflect my current abilities.

I definitely plan to make the most effective use of my personal statement, I know my path to vet med has been a little circuitous and I want to make sure I clearly show that vet med is the right path for me.

That’s good to hear about Ohio State, I’ll add it to my list!

Hi! We have very similar backgrounds, I'm not sure if you've seen my stats in the successful applicants thread for c/o 2027. I was an English lit major, went to law school, and dropped out halfway through my 2L year. I did most my science classes post-bacc and then applied. I also want to do equine!

My biggest advice is to highlight your differences as an applicant and how those differences will make you a strong veterinary professional. Personal statement is incredibly important - for some schools, that's the only place on your application you can let your voice & differences shine.

I'd recommend taking time this summer before applying to build up some more hours and maybe diversify, but I don't think you're far behind where you need to be.

I had to do those freaking ACS exams in my post-bacc Chem courses as well. They were stressful for no reason, lol. Feel free to reach out to me if you need any ideas for studying for them. I actually did my post-bacc at the school where the ACS education department is headquartered... I'm unsure if that was a good or bad thing. And don't worry about one C or one B. It shouldn't make your break your application.

It's important to do your research on which schools you might fair better at considering your non-traditional background. I'm happy to let you know how my application cycle turned out with each schools if you want!! Good luck, you've got this!!!

Hello all!

I’m seeking some insight into my chances of admission this application cycle and would appreciate any advice you can offer on the application process. Sorry for the incoming novel!

I think my most significant concerns are number of veterinary experience hours, less than stellar first year undergrad grades, a and a possible C in organic chemistry 2, so any insight or advice regarding those concerns is especially appreciated.

I am nearly 30 and left my job as an attorney to pursue vet med. Specifically, I want to be an equine vet. I’m currently in a post-bacc program finishing up prerequisites.

My stats:
Undergraduate degree in English literature, GPA: 3.4
Law school GPA (not sure if this matters): 3.49
Post-bacc GPA: currently 3.8, but I’m expecting it to take a hit from a possible C in organic chemistry 2 if the ACS exam goes poorly
I have not taken the GRE yet.

Schools I’m applying to:
Illinois (my in-state and would be my top choice)
Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota
I’m also open to suggestions for other schools I may be overlooking.

Veterinary Experience:
~500 hours working at an equine rehabilitation clinic: kind of a mix of care/chores and more “directly” veterinary things (administering therapies, IM/oral meds, taking TPRs, holding for procedures, helping with x-rays, etc) but all under the direction/supervision of a veterinarian. I’m sort of uncertain how to better quantify these hours.

~ 50 hours shadowing a shelter vet/observing surgeries (spays/neuters, dentals, mass removals, hernia repair, and a necropsy)

Upcoming experience:
~ 100 hours shadowing/assisting an ambulatory equine vet, with possibility for more hours

I can also likely get more hours at the rehab clinic as well, but additional hours for both experiences depend on my summer class schedule.

Animal experience:
5000 + hours: Animal care staff (paid) at a therapeutic riding center, primarily barn chores and caring for horses but also cared for livestock species (cows, goats, sheep, pigs, poultry) and some small animals (cats, rabbits, Guinea pigs).

Non-veterinary Professional Experience
- Associate attorney (practiced insurance defense), 1 year
- Law clerk/legal intern, 2 years (insurance defense firm)
- Special education teacher aide, 2 years

Volunteer/extracurricular experiences:
15 years showing my personal horse, taking riding lessons
200 + hours: Coaching a Special Olympics equestrian team

My concerns:
1) Low and non-diverse veterinary experience hours. My problem is that I really enjoy equine vet med, so I’ve been jumping at every opportunity to get more experience there, but that means I have much less time for small animal, etc. I’m only taking one class in the fall, so I’ll have more time to accumulate hours in other areas of vet med. I expect to have to apply for a second cycle after this one, but I’m also nearly 30 and feel like I need to apply this cycle since I’m not getting any younger and I’ll have all my prerequisites finished.

2) My first year of undergrad was really rough. I got horrible grades (D, WF) in general chemistry and calculus and bad to mediocre (C’s, B’s) grades in other classes. This was 12 years ago, I was immature and did not handle being away from home well at all. I feel it no longer reflects my abilities as a student. I switched majors, transferred schools, and got straight A’s my senior year of college. I did well in law school, but I’m not sure if that counts for much here.

3) The above is why I’m really concerned if I end up with a C in orgo 2. I got a B in orgo 1 and have gotten all A’s in my other post-bacc classes. Getting a C in orgo 2 really worries me because we’re taking the ACS exam as our final and this professor will not curve it. I’m only taking three more classes (two this summer, one in the fall), so this will be part of my last 45 GPA.

Thank you for reading, if you’ve reached the end of this novel! As I said, I’d appreciate any advice or insight anyone has to offer.
Hey! So, your law school grades do matter and will be lumped into your "undergrad" gpa. I learned this the hard way and my law school GPA were not nearly as good as yours. I agree with everyone else that your possible C should not undermine your app.

Hi! We have very similar backgrounds, I'm not sure if you've seen my stats in the successful applicants thread for c/o 2027. I was an English lit major, went to law school, and dropped out halfway through my 2L year. I did most my science classes post-bacc and then applied. I also want to do equine!

My biggest advice is to highlight your differences as an applicant and how those differences will make you a strong veterinary professional. Personal statement is incredibly important - for some schools, that's the only place on your application you can let your voice & differences shine.

I'd recommend taking time this summer before applying to build up some more hours and maybe diversify, but I don't think you're far behind where you need to be.

I had to do those freaking ACS exams in my post-bacc Chem courses as well. They were stressful for no reason, lol. Feel free to reach out to me if you need any ideas for studying for them. I actually did my post-bacc at the school where the ACS education department is headquartered... I'm unsure if that was a good or bad thing. And don't worry about one C or one B. It shouldn't make your break your application.

It's important to do your research on which schools you might fair better at considering your non-traditional background. I'm happy to let you know how my application cycle turned out with each schools if you want!! Good luck, you've got this!!!
It's good to hear from someone with a similar background!

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be spending a lot of time on personal statements this summer, I don't want to miss the chance to make my application stand out (in a good way, lol).

I just took the ACS and don't feel too optimistic about it, it definitely didn't help that the fire alarm kept going off during the exam. I'm just glad it's over.

I'd be interested in hearing how your application cycle went!