WAMC? Not sure if to apply this year or next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvpup

Reaction score
Hi! I’m applying to vet school this cycle. I graduate Spring 2024 with a B.S of Animal science with pre vet concentration. This is my first time and I’m wanting some advice on my application. I do not know whether or not to apply this year or next year. Reason being, I can either not apply this year and up my experience by 2024 application or apply this year that way by 2024 when results come back, I know whether or not to pursue further schooling (like a double major) to increase my GPA/chances? What makes me nervous is the fact that most of my classes (most of my pre req as well) were taken online (due to covid, some classes being only available online and personal issues/reasons like working full time or 2 jobs in order to afford school or help my family financially) and I do not have much diversity/leadership opportunities. I’m applying to Texas A&M and Texas Tech as those are my in state.

Cumulative GPA: 3.6-3.7

No GRE as it is not required in these schools

Veterinary Experience:
- 1,500 hours at an ER SA/ somewhat exotic hospital (I'm a scribe, it's technically like shadowing the vet all day, looking at the diagnostics, writing the medical record, talking with clients when need be (especially as Spanish translator) but I never actually get to touch the animal. There has been very few moments where I do touch the animal like c sections puppies. I have scrubbed in to witness multiple surgeries if that's a benefit on the application)

Animal Experience:
- 224 hours of tending puppies from birth
- 25 hours dog sitting
- 50 hours poultry care
- Currently fostering kittens so in the end it should total 80 hours at the least
- volunteering at animal shelter (currently at 8 hours as i just started but plan to finish with at least 50 (goal is more) by the end of July/August)
- 1000 hours of pet ownership (dog + hamster; might not include that though)

Research:
- none although i did apply for an animal research internship in the upcoming fall

Extracurriculars & Community Service:
Pre-vet club (January 2023-present)
Art club (January-May 2022 at community college, as well as high school but might not include that)

Honors & Awards:
Chancellors, and provost's honor roll list most of the time
Won very few small scholarships (like 2)

Other Work Experience:
-around 1000 hours as a janitor
(the bottom might not be included in application)
- around 100 hours (probably more) as a cashier/food prep at my uncle’s ice cream shop
- around 120 hours (probably more) as a cashier as my parent’s food truck business

I do not know if this is a stretch or if i should give it a shot and if i do not get accepted try again next year. I am hoping I gain more experience this year as I have that research internship that I hope I get accepted for. Applied to an equine assistant position for the summer (do not have high hopes for acceptance though). Will try to gain more vet experience in GP and specialty. As well as joining the livestock show team at my school this fall (and getting a leadership opportunity for my pre vet club and maybe even art club). I think if everything goes well, I might be able to have a more competitive application for the upcoming application next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not super familiar with Texas IS admissions so hopefully someone else can comment on this. But based on what I know for other states, your GPA and experiences are likely competitive enough to give you a shot IS. Also, don't think it's a bad idea to go through the process earlier for file reviews to understand how to improve if it doesn't work out.

Reason being, I can either not apply this year and up my experience by 2024 application or apply this year that way by 2024 when results come back, I know whether or not to pursue further schooling (like a double major) to increase my GPA/chances?
Your GPA is not a complete killer as of now. I would hold on the thought of extending school til you see how it is looking closer to graduation. What is your current last 45 semester unit GPA?

I personally think your application would benefit most from diversifying your experience. You've got all companion animal (SA/exotic) it seems, and no other significant experience relevant to the vet field. Looking for something large animal will likely serve you best in this regard.

Veterinary Experience:
- 1,500 hours at an ER SA/ somewhat exotic hospital (paid)
A couple of hours here and there on my ER job (Like resuscitate puppies after C-Section)
I am confused on why these are split up.

Not super familiar with Texas IS admissions so hopefully someone else can comment on this. But based on what I know for other states, your GPA and experiences are likely competitive enough to give you a shot IS. Also, don't think it's a bad idea to go through the process earlier for file reviews to understand how to improve if it doesn't work out.

Your GPA is not a complete killer as of now. I would hold on the thought of extending school til you see how it is looking closer to graduation. What is your current last 45 semester unit GPA?

I personally think your application would benefit most from diversifying your experience. You've got all companion animal (SA/exotic) it seems, and no other significant experience relevant to the vet field. Looking for something large animal will likely serve you best in this regard.

I am confused on why these are split up.
Oh I should've clarified. I'm a scribe, it's technically like shadowing the vet all day, looking at the diagnostics, writing the medical record, talking with clients when need be (especially as Spanish translator) but I never actually get to touch the animal. There has been very few moments where I do touch the animal like c sections. Oh and I have scrubbed in to multiple surgeries if that's a benefit on the application

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I should've clarified. I'm a scribe, it's technically like shadowing the vet all day, looking at the diagnostics, writing the medical record, talking with clients when need be (especially as Spanish translator) but I never actually get to touch the animal. There has been very few moments where I do touch the animal like c sections. Oh and I have scrubbed in to multiple surgeries if that's a benefit on the application
Just as an FYI, veterinary experience supersedes animal experience. So based on what you're saying, I don't think they should be separated.

Reactions: 1 user