WAMC of matching psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Newyorkgirl24

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current 4th year DO student. Scored lower than I anticipated on my boards, with a Step 2 at 229 and level 2 at 471.
I am worried this won't be competitive enough for psychiatry, and am considering dual applying as a back up even though I'd prefer to only shoot my shot at psych.
My application otherwise has no red flags, ranking is in the 50th percentile for my class.
I have some EC's pointing towards psychiatry, volunteering, and one leadership position.

WAMC at matching psych this year? Is there any number of programs I should shoot to apply for?
 
Psych cares more about your commitment to psych than scores. Having said that a 229 is competitive to match somewhere for psych. Since you took step no one will care about your level (I guess except old osteo programs which are a lot less)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don’t listen to Reddit saying “psych is the new derm.” It’s still not competitive
It may not be derm, but it is competitive.
There were only 21 (out of 2164 offered) unfilled Psych positions (of any kind) in SOAP this year.
Many well-qualified students (including MD) did not match.
 
It may not be derm, but it is competitive.
There were only 21 (out of 2164 offered) unfilled Psych positions (of any kind) in SOAP this year.
Many well-qualified students (including MD) did not match.

Yep, I know of 2 Mayo students who did not match psych. Guessing that was more of a personal qualities type issue than scores/school prestige but still... nothing is guaranteed for anyone.
 
Psych is on the very low end of moderately competitive vs high end of low competitiveness.

It's 100% not the new derm. I remember an ortho resident actually said that to me, and I couldn't believe it.