WAMC/School List TX: ORM Nontrad (3.5 GPA/505 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zomgbecky

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a TX resident interested in applying to both MD and DO schools this upcoming cycle with a strong preference for MD schools. I have worked as a travel nuclear medicine technologist in Texas for the past 3 years, mainly working in rural areas. Schools I should apply to(I'll be applying to all Texas schools) and any advice on how I can strengthen my application for the upcoming cycle would be greatly appreciated.

1. GPA cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.50 (TMDSAS cGPA 3.51 sGPA 3.43)
GPA trend-
Freshman 2.6
Sophomore 2.9
Junior 3.7
Senior 3.98
2. MCAT 505 125/126/126/128
3. TX Resident: Currently living in Rural East Texas
4. ORM/URM: Asian ORM
5. Undergraduate institution: Kinesiology Health Science track BS, Nuclear Medicine AAS
6. Clinical experience:
Nonpaid Clinical Experience: 1320 hours of nuclear medicine rotations at 5 different hospitals
Paid Clinical Experience: 3000 hours working as a travel nuclear medicine technologist
7. Research experience:
Research project as a part of my nuclear medicine degree. I recorded the dose residual remaining after administering radiopharmaceutical to a patient. I found that often, the administered dose would be lower than the allowable dose limits.
8. Shadowing:
Internal medicine: 50 hours
Radiology: 40 hours
Nephrology: 50 hours
9. Non-clinical volunteering:
Homeless food drive: 500 hours
Food bank: 70 hours
Health fair volunteer: 8 hours
Recommendation Letters: 2 Science LOR, 1 DO Letter

Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all your Texas MD schools and you may receive interviews. However, with a MCAT of 505 you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
WVSOM

Apply to all your Texas MD schools and you may receive interviews. However, with a MCAT of 505 you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
WVSOM
Thank you for your response. Would I be competitive for Rocky Vista University? Also, if I wanted to raise my chances for out of state MD, what MCAT score would you recommend? And if I were to apply to out of state MD with my current stats, which ones would you recommend?

I know that's a lot of questions, thank you for your time

Thank you for your response. Would I be competitive for Rocky Vista University? Also, if I wanted to raise my chances for out of state MD, what MCAT score would you recommend? And if I were to apply to out of state MD with my current stats, which ones would you recommend?

I know that's a lot of questions, thank you for your time
You are competitive for Rocky Vista. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. If your MCAT was 520+ some OOS schools might be interested. It is not realistic that you would increase your MCAT from505 to 520.