WAMC - ORM 4.0 GPA/515 MCAT/Disappointing CARS

Started by NYNYTown
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NYNYTown

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. All. WAMC for MD school in your opinion? I intend to apply to mid-tier and outside the top-20 MD schools. Won’t apply to CA or TX schools as a NY resident and without any relationship to those states. Thanks for any input or school list recommendations, and great luck to everyone on their own journeys. Like many, I have holes in my armor – out of whack CARs score, ORM, etc.
  1. 4.0 GPA, 4.0 Science GPA.
  2. 515 (130,124,129,132) – CARS was a disappointment obviously – never scored that low, but honestly never scored much higher on FLs (127 as a high, but usually 126 in FLs). Don’t intend to retake MCAT and hope A+s in upper level writing and a very strong recommendation from the professor, together with good essays and publications overcome any concern. Just not a speed reader.
  3. Will also have two science professor recommendations, a recommendation from the head doctor of the university research I was part of, and a doctor recommendation from the research hospital I am working at during the current gap year.
  4. NY resident
  5. ORM white male
  6. A top public university.
  7. 800+EMT hours, mostly in underserved areas
  8. 2300+ (and ongoing during gap year) research hours with several publications including as first author and poster presentations
  9. Gap year work as full time research assistant at a top research hospital that includes, so far, 300+ patient facing hours
  10. 100 hours shadowing in orthopedics and 40 hours shadowing in neurology
  11. 400 hours working with mentally challenged adults, 200 hours founding and managing an overdose prevention infrastructure for campus, and 200 hours as philanthropy chair for a fraternity
  12. 550 hours pro bono tutoring including through a pre and post practice tutoring program I founded (and for which I recruited other student athletes to participate) in an underserved community where I coached soccer during college
  13. NCAA recruited soccer player first two years of college (at a top liberal arts school before transferring), 700+ hours
  14. Phi Beta Kappa, academic honor rolls and scholar indications each semester of college, multiple community awards for service.
  15. Conversational in two languages in addition to English
Kind regards from NY
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Methodist
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Belmont
Alice Walton
Creighton
Ponce (St. Louis)
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Roseman
 
Without more information, mission fit and geography will also determine your chances. No doubt you should get some attention from solid MD programs, but here are my suggestions.

1) Primary care: it's not clear how much exposure you have with this group of specialties, especially with shadowing and conversations with doctors.

2) Your focus in this description is on the underresourced and marginalized groups in your activities, but we care about your responsibilities and impact. Give us a reason to understand why we should be impressed with your programs that you started and that they won't fade away when you get accepted to medical school.

3) Tutoring and teaching doesn't help you stand out.

4) Most schools in the US do not summarily reject you because of a low CARS score. There's still no peer-reviewed research that suggests placing much more value on CARS over other MCAT subscores as far as I know. To me, you have shown academic accomplishments that would satisfy concerns about your CARS score.

In general, your profile shouldn't warrant an automatic rejection unless the school doesn't believe you want to attend the program or you can thrive there. Have you attended any recruitment events or talked with students attending the programs you want to attend?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Without more information, mission fit and geography will also determine your chances. No doubt you should get some attention from solid MD programs, but here are my suggestions.

1) Primary care: it's not clear how much exposure you have with this group of specialties, especially with shadowing and conversations with doctors.

2) Your focus in this description is on the underresourced and marginalized groups in your activities, but we care about your responsibilities and impact. Give us a reason to understand why we should be impressed with your programs that you started and that they won't fade away when you get accepted to medical school.

3) Tutoring and teaching doesn't help you stand out.

4) Most schools in the US do not summarily reject you because of a low CARS score. There's still no peer-reviewed research that suggests placing much more value on CARS over other MCAT subscores as far as I know. To me, you have shown academic accomplishments that would satisfy concerns about your CARS score.

In general, your profile shouldn't warrant an automatic rejection unless the school doesn't believe you want to attend the program or you can thrive there. Have you attended any recruitment events or talked with students attending the programs you want to attend?
This is some great input. I have talked to numerous students attending some of the schools I intend to apply to, but will need to attend recruitment events for schools where I don't know anybody. I really appreciate these thoughts. Thank you.
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Methodist
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Belmont
Alice Walton
Creighton
Ponce (St. Louis)
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Roseman
Thank you so much. This reaffirms my application list I came up with. Lots of the same schools.