WAMC- PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightingtobe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
So I am a little devastated, I just got verified for AACOMAS with a cGPA of 3.31 and sGPA of 3.04 :(
I thought my science GPA would be higher.. Want to apply this cycle. Strictly DO. MCAT: 506
Graduated 2016 Biomedical Sciences- Florida resident
Working FT nurse assistant in Hospital ER for 1year
Lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering in ER, animal shelter, children organizations, etc. (3hrs/wk) for last 3 years
Lots of shadowing (200+ hours) PAs, DOs, MDs; family medicine, pediatrics, specialties
Psychology research past 2 years (4hrs/wk)
- 1 publication, 2 presentations
Leadership position in school health club (1 year)

What should I do? I plan on doing DIY post-bac this fall?
Any suggestions would be lovely, thank you in advance.
Schools in mind
LECOM
NSU
ALL VCOMS
ACOM
Others??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,
So I am a little devastated, I just got verified for AACOMAS with a cGPA of 3.31 and sGPA of 3.04 :(
I thought my science GPA would be higher.. Want to apply this cycle. Strictly DO. MCAT: 506
Lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering in ER, animal shelter, children organizations, etc. (3hrs/wk) for last 3 years
Lots of shadowing (200+ hours) PAs, DOs, MDs; family medicine, pediatrics, specialties

Schools in mind
LECOM
NSU
ALL VCOMS
ACOM
Others??

What LOR do you have?

What is your state of residence? Are you URM?

You have a good MCAT, and your sGPA is at least above the 3.0 mark. Your cGPA is on the lower side, but not terribly low, so you're good there.

If you want to try this cycle, definitely target the newer D.O. schools. I suggest adding these to your list:
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
BCOM
RVUCOM
WCUCOM

It'll help if you have a strong passion for rural primary care.

If things don't work out this cycle, definitely do a DIY post-bacc to raise that sGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Consider adding CUSOM, PCOM-GA and RVU-UTAH as well. You might get in this year have confidence! If not, have DIY post-bacc as a backup ready

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

Schools in mind
LECOM
NSU
ALL VCOMS
ACOM
Others??

Yea I agree with the other posters, you could still be successful this year! If not, a 24-30 DIY post bacc would probably get you up to around 3.3 or 3.4. Also would give you a strong upward trend. That's what I did and it wasn't so bad. Good luck!

Hi! thank you for replying! This was my first post, a little nervous (long time lurker) lol
I am a Florida resident and Asian..so not much going for me there...
Im just afraid that my sGPA is not going to get me anywhere.. its been nearly a 3.0 every semester.. maybe a tidbit downward trend. No real improvement my last 30+ credit hours or anything like that.
Nonetheless, I am very passionate about primary care and osteopathic medicine! I have a very strong LOR from a family medicine DO

If things don't work out, how will reapplying next year work? Would that be looked down upon?
Thank you for your help!! :)

I think you will be fine this cycle if you apply broadly. Just avoid schools like KCUMB or PCOM that have a high GPA screen.

As for reapplying, it isn't necessarily the worse thing, especially if you show drastic improvement compared to your previous cycle. Also, since you'll be doing a DIY post-bacc, you'll be able to expand your list of schools for next cycle. You won't even be considered a re-applicant at these.

I feel for you man, but your chances are not great. At least for DOs, non-URMs with 3.0-3.1 GPAs are rarely interviewed, and those that are typically have higher MCAT scores to "compensate." Your mcat score just isn't high enough to offset your low GPA.

If you have a VERY strong upward trend, this will help a bit, but probably won't save you.

A one-year post-bacc (where you get STRAIGHT As) would seriously improve your chances at DO. In my opinion, this is the best option for you.

Hi All,

Schools in mind
LECOM
NSU
ALL VCOMS
ACOM
Others??
just curious did you calculate your gpa and sgpa before hand and did it wrong (included classes that shouldnt have been in there) or did you just not know