WAMC pls help !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binkybonky

Reaction score
Hi friends! I was initially planning to apply next cycle but I feel pretty good to apply this cycle. Any kind recommendations are more than welcome!

22, CA, BS Biology emphasis in Zoology, minor in Psychology: Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience, Magna Cum Laude, Deans List 2020-2023

Cumulative GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: ~3.7
Last 45: 3.74
No GRE

Vet Experience:
300+ hrs SA Vet Assistant
aiming to have 700 hours hopefully!

Animal Experience:
Birch Aquarium Tide Pool Interpreter - 12 hours
Grossmont Center Mega Adoption Event - 30 hours
Pet sitting relatives dog - 1000 hours

Research:
15 hours Allen’s Hummingbird Field Research
100 hours Sea Urchin Aquaculture Project
130 hours Rattlesnake and Kangaroo Rat predator-prey interactions

Clubs/Leadership:
-Treasurer of Doctors Without Borders chapter
-Secretary of Doctors Without Borders chapter
-VP of Pre-Veterinary Medical Association
-VP of Marketing of College of Sciences Student Council
-Active member in Women in Science Society, Zoology Club, Pre-Physician Assistant Club

Employment:
-Organismal Biology TA (~100 hours)
-SA Vet Assistant (intern for 5 months, employed ~1 year)
-Ice Cream shop Team Member (1 year and a half)

Volunteering:
-SD Food Bank: 5 hours
-Service Learning Trip to Guatemala (Medical Campaign): 1 week (~50 hours)
-Created care kits for the less fortunate and donated them to Streets of Hope (~3 hours)

Letter of Recs: Veterinarian at SA clinic I worked at as a Vet Assistant, Assistant Dean of College of Sciences, Ornithology professor (hummingbird research PI) , Animal Behavior professor (snake research PI)

I would like to gain more diverse experiences, so I’ll try to work on that at the same time! I was initially interested in Zoo Medicine, but as of recently I could see myself working in Shelter Medicine. Especially during my medical campaign in Guatemala for Doctors Without Borders, there were so many stray animals; I would like to go back or travel to underserved areas in general to help out! I am also planning to gain more vet hours so I’ll be working full time over the summer and hopefully volunteering with farm animals to diversify my experiences. My list of schools I’d want to apply to is UC Davis, Cornell University, Tufts University, University of Illinois, Washington State, Western University, PennVet.

Any advice or recommendations would be extremely appreciated! I need help tailoring my school list, so if there are schools I should consider or remove, please lmk <3

Thanks! 😀

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi... I'm bumping to see if other experts will review your WAMC.

One thing that strikes me is your low volunteering hours. You have 50 weeks in Guatemala, but I'm not sure just having 8 hours in the US helps you. If there is anything to critique, you need much more volunteering in this category. I'd keep doing more of both Food Bank and shelter work. Try to get the total hours to 100.

Hi... I'm bumping to see if other experts will review your WAMC.

One thing that strikes me is your low volunteering hours. You have 50 weeks in Guatemala, but I'm not sure just having 8 hours in the US helps you. If there is anything to critique, you need much more volunteering in this category. I'd keep doing more of both Food Bank and shelter work. Try to get the total hours to 100.
Volunteer hours while important are not held to the same weight as medical schools. But I would recommend more of that or extracurriculars. I’d put more time and effort into your vet experience because 700 isn’t a very large number when comparing people who have thousands of hours of vet experience.

While i’ve never applied to the majority of the schools you are applying, I feel like you’d have a good chance of getting interviews with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteer hours while important are not held to the same weight as medical schools. But I would recommend more of that or extracurriculars. I’d put more time and effort into your vet experience because 700 isn’t a very large number when comparing people who have thousands of hours of vet experience.

While i’ve never applied to the majority of the schools you are applying, I feel like you’d have a good chance of getting interviews with them.
Yes I agree and also variation in experience is important so maybe try to get more large animal, research, or exotics experience to broaden your experiences. Good luck.

Hey @binkybonky
Keeping it Tufts specific since they're on your list and I'm finishing my second year there - I think they'll like that you've done some field research and aquarium stuff, and they'll probably like your international experience. Your gpa strikes me as competitive, too. I know from the last time I spoke with admin that they were looking for applicants with unique experiences, and there's a separate essay you have to write for Tufts, so if you do decide to apply there, maybe use that to talk about your international experiences and interests. They're super into that and so far we've had lectures every semester that have included aspects of international medicine. I also think they'll like your research.

Increasing the vet hours and diversifying experience would definitely help you, but I also don't think it would hurt you to apply this round - at least to Tufts. Can't speak for the other schools. But good luck!!