WAMC PMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish everyone here the best of luck during the interview season.

However, I am getting bombarded by PMs asking about chances to match, what do I think of program X, etc. I know, I'm easier to approach and access than your own faculty...its a few typed words and click on send. You don't have to approach my secretary to see when I'll be around, worry if you paged me I'll be mad, etc.

I would love to help, honestly, but I don't know your chances any better than anyone else and any advice is better offered by your faculty who really know you.

Secondly, I have intimate knowledge of a few programs; I have passing information on a few more (mostly word of mouth from friends). But I honestly have no idea, any more than you except by reputation, about the vast majority of programs in the US. Would you really want me to tell you what I think of Cleveland Clinic, Virginia Mason, etc.? I have no idea - I've never been there, don't know anyone who has and cannot evaluate your application there. Generalities I can give, specifics I cannot.

I am happy to answer questions about programs I trained in. I am happy to answer questions about local programs.

But I have to say, "uncle". I know everyone's stressed and is grasping for straws, wondering why they don't have more interviews/what interviewer meant when they said "x"/whether to send thank you notes/what to wear to the dinner the night before, but please...don't see my lack of response as rudeness or uncaring. Its just that I'm being asked unaswerable questions.

Hoping you understand...
 
I wish everyone here the best of luck during the interview season.

However, I am getting bombarded by PMs asking about chances to match...
...but I don't know your chances...
...any advice is better offered by your faculty who really know you.

...I'm being asked unaswerable questions...
You are too kind. How was Bogota??? Anyhow, just to help folks.... check this link posted way back when:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=500004
 
I wish everyone here the best of luck during the interview season.

However, I am getting bombarded by PMs asking about chances to match, what do I think of program X, etc. I know, I'm easier to approach and access than your own faculty...its a few typed words and click on send. You don't have to approach my secretary to see when I'll be around, worry if you paged me I'll be mad, etc.

I would love to help, honestly, but I don't know your chances any better than anyone else and any advice is better offered by your faculty who really know you.

Secondly, I have intimate knowledge of a few programs; I have passing information on a few more (mostly word of mouth from friends). But I honestly have no idea, any more than you except by reputation, about the vast majority of programs in the US. Would you really want me to tell you what I think of Cleveland Clinic, Virginia Mason, etc.? I have no idea - I've never been there, don't know anyone who has and cannot evaluate your application there. Generalities I can give, specifics I cannot.

I am happy to answer questions about programs I trained in. I am happy to answer questions about local programs.

But I have to say, "uncle". I know everyone's stressed and is grasping for straws, wondering why they don't have more interviews/what interviewer meant when they said "x"/whether to send thank you notes/what to wear to the dinner the night before, but please...don't see my lack of response as rudeness or uncaring. Its just that I'm being asked unaswerable questions.

Hoping you understand...

Winged Scapula,

I noticed you're from Arizona. Do you have any experience/knowledge of any of the Phoenix programs (Good Sam, Copa, St Joe's)? If yes, I'd like to PM you some specific questions if you don't mind. Please let me know. Thanks.