WAMC: Re-applicant (cGPA: 3.78 , sGPA: 3.82 , MCAT: 513) NC Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sobek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.82
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 513 ( CP 129, CARS 126, BB 130, PSB 128) from 2017
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • North Carolina
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    • White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    • BS in Chemistry, minor in Bio (NC),
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Volunteer - 150 hours (Local free clinic + university hospital)
    • Employment - > 2500 hours (Medical Assistant, Clinical Research Coordinator, CRA)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • Undergraduate research - Chemistry, 1 year, no publications (~500 hours)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • TOTAL - 205 hrs
    • Orthopedic shadowing - 30 hrs
    • internal med (physicians abroad) - 150 hrs
    • Emergency medicine - 25 hrs
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • Hospitality house - 40 hrs
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Undergraduate Student Instructor/tutor for Organic Chemistry
    • Residence Hall Representative
    • University Archery Club
    • Shadowed / volunteered abroad at various clinics in rural Zambia for 2 months
I'm trying to develop a school list. In previous cycles I only applied to my state schools which I really think shot me in the foot. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest all these schools with your stats:
East Carolina
UNC
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
TCU-UNT

Reactions: 1 user
What have you done to significantly improve your application since the last time you applied? Do you have any primary care shadowing done in the US? You need more than 40 hours of nonclinical volunteering. What is Hospitality House and what do you do?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What have you done to significantly improve your application since the last time you applied? Do you have any primary care shadowing done in the US? You need more than 40 hours of nonclinical volunteering. What is Hospitality House and what do you do?

I improved my mcat from 505 to 513 and have significantly increased my clinical exposure (clinical exposure >2500 up from about 500). Also volunteered at university hospital (150 hrs) and have much stronger rec letters.

Primary care shadowing I have ~55 hrs in the US.

The hospitality house is a homeless outreach program and shelter. I helped prepare food and do day to day tasks while in undergrad. Nothing super fancy

Thank you for your input!

I improved my mcat from 505 to 513 and have significantly increased my clinical exposure (clinical exposure >2500 up from about 500). Also volunteered at university hospital (150 hrs) and have much stronger rec letters.

Primary care shadowing I have ~55 hrs in the US.

The hospitality house is a homeless outreach program and shelter. I helped prepare food and do day to day tasks while in undergrad. Nothing super fancy

Thank you for your input!

Oh that sounds good. Try to up the Hospitality House hours. As you develop your list keep in mind that some schools average multiple MCAT scores. Not all do but AMCAS recommends that schools average. Good luck.