WAMC - reapplicant with low bio score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lusy007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I am reapplying for this cycle and I would like to listen to others' opinions on my stats and any comments are appreciated!!! :)

Date of submission: June 5th
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
3.16, 3.54, 3.57
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
20AA, PAT 20, QR 19, RC 20, Bio 17, GC 21, OC 22, TS 19
[little concerned about my biology score, should I retake it...?]
State of Residence: California

Major: Molecular and Cell Biology
Reapplicant? Yes!

Shadowing Experience: shadowed general dentist in person - 110 hours
Volunteering Experience: Worked in school as a volunteer teacher assistant - 780 hours, currently volunteering in the community food pantry market - 40 hours
Employment: Working as a dental assistant now - 230 hours, worked as a front receptionist in the dental office - 800 hours, worked as a server for 2 years
Research: undergrad researcher in immunology lab - 800 hours, 1 publication on review now
Other Extracurriculars: worked in a volunteer club as a secretary - 150 hours
LOR type and strength: 2 letters from science professors (pretty strong), 1 from research lab PI, 1 from the dentist (very strong)

School list (20):

USC
UCLA
UCSF
Western
NYU
Touro
Roseman
AT still
Midwestern - AZ
Midwestern - IL
U Penn
Case Western
LECOM
Nova
Marquette
Columbia
Rutgers
Temp
UNLV
UOP

I am currently waitlisted on one school from the last cycle, but I have not heard back from them..;)
Please feel free to give any advice or comment. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys. I am reapplying for this cycle and I would like to listen to others' opinions on my stats and any comments are appreciated!!! :)

Date of submission: June 5th
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.35
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.16, 3.54, 3.57
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA, PAT 20, QR 19, RC 20, Bio 17, GC 21, OC 22, TS 19
[little concerned about my biology score, should I retake it...?]
State of Residence: California

Major: Molecular and Cell Biology
Reapplicant? Yes!

Shadowing Experience: shadowed general dentist in person - 110 hours
Volunteering Experience: Worked in school as a volunteer teacher assistant - 780 hours, currently volunteering in the community food pantry market - 40 hours
Employment: Working as a dental assistant now - 230 hours, worked as a front receptionist in the dental office - 800 hours, worked as a server for 2 years
Research: undergrad researcher in immunology lab - 800 hours, 1 publication on review now
Other Extracurriculars: worked in a volunteer club as a secretary - 150 hours
LOR type and strength: 2 letters from science professors (pretty strong), 1 from research lab PI, 1 from the dentist (very strong)

School list (20):
USC
UCLA
UCSF
Western
NYU
Touro
Roseman
AT still
Midwestern - AZ
Midwestern - IL
U Penn
Case Western
LECOM
Nova
Marquette
Columbia
Rutgers
Temp
UNLV
UOP

I am currently waitlisted on one school from the last cycle, but I have not heard back from them..;)
Please feel free to give any advice or comment. Thank you!
BCP GPA is one number btw
I'd retake your DAT but only if you know you can do better (like 22-23+, no low sections). A 20AA/19TS is not very competitive, especially for some of the schools on your list (UCLA, UCSF, UPenn, Columbia). I think these four were hard reaches. What schools did you apply to last cycle, where did you get interviews and where are you currently waitlisted, and how has your app changed from last cycle to this cycle (please be specific)?

BCP GPA is one number btw
I'd retake your DAT but only if you know you can do better (like 22-23+, no low sections). A 20AA/19TS is not very competitive, especially for some of the schools on your list (UCLA, UCSF, UPenn, Columbia). I think these four were hard reaches. What schools did you apply to last cycle, where did you get interviews and where are you currently waitlisted, and how has your app changed from last cycle to this cycle (please be specific)?
Thank you for the comment!

For the last cycle, l applied almost same as the list above. I did applied more broadly including howard and creighton. I took my DAT around late August 2020 and did not have enough shadowing hours at that time. Also, no rec letter from dentist and not much experience as a dental assistant.

l only got one interview invite from Roseman and waitlisted

l know schools like UCSF, Penn, and Columbia are very tough schools to get in with my stats, but l wantto give a shot 😂 Any other schools you think l will have a chance to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the comment!

For the last cycle, l applied almost same as the list above. I did applied more broadly including howard and creighton. I took my DAT around late August 2020 and did not have enough shadowing hours at that time. Also, no rec letter from dentist and not much experience as a dental assistant.

l only got one interview invite from Roseman and waitlisted

l know schools like UCSF, Penn, and Columbia are very tough schools to get in with my stats, but l wantto give a shot 😂 Any other schools you think l will have a chance to get in?
Applying early and having a dentist LOR will def help. For Roseman, have you sent a letter of intent? For other schools, did you ask them what you could do to improve?

As for other schools, 20 is already a lot and there comes a point that if you're not competitive with your current app for 20 schools, adding more will not help. Instead of adding more, I'd spend that money on a DAT retake to open more doors for yourself. A higher score will help you get more invites and hopefully an acceptance too.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying early and having a dentist LOR will def help. For Roseman, have you sent a letter of intent? For other schools, did you ask them what you could do to improve?

As for other schools, 20 is already a lot and there comes a point that if you're not competitive with your current app for 20 schools, adding more will not help. Instead of adding more, I'd spend that money on a DAT retake to open more doors for yourself. A higher score will help you get more invites and hopefully an acceptance too.
I did send the letter of intent to roseman.

I will probably consider retaking DAT if l do noy get in this cycle. Thank you so much for sharing your opinion!