WAMC - First time applicant, low reading score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilfoonka

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first time submitting this type of post so I was just curious on what my chances are.

Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.83

DAT Score: 21AA
Math: 21
Perceptual: 21
Reading: 16 (ouch I know ;-; hopefully I can explain?)
Organic: 22
Chemistry: 23
Biology: 22

Undergrad: Virginia Tech
Major: Biochemistry (Gonna be a senior and hopefully graduate this fall)
Minor: n/a
Minority: Bangladeshi Asian so no I think (low income + first gen if that matters)

Shadowing: I got around a little over 350+ in person hours with two general dentists (one did more ortho and the other one did more extractions)
Volunteer: Like 800+ lol I've been a part of my community program since I was a child for a long time where I raised money with fundraisers or raffles, been the English speaker, and have also performed dances. I've always been involved in volunteering like the YMCA food distribution and volunteered for research for one semester.

Employment: Like 2000+ hours where I work currently as a Pharmacy technician and Lab stockroom student for Organic / Analytical chemistry. I've also worked at customer service like retail and food services ever since I was 16 (I made this a big point in my personal statement).

Other EC: Biochemistry Club, I paint canvases and do nails! (mentioned both of these manual dex in my personal statement)

Honors or Awards: Dean's list, got 2 scholarships from Virginia Tech (one academic and another one for underrepresented students), and 1 scholarships from Comcast leader's program

LOR: Two of them were my biochemistry professors and one was a dentist I shadowed (all strong)

School list:
VCU (Goal school cause I'm from RVA / instate!)
UMD
Pittsburg
Temple
Rutgers
Ohio (maybe applying)

I would like to know what you guys think and if I should apply to more or less schools with my stats. I don't have the type of money to spend a lot on apps especially after the DAT and not working the first time this summer (shadowed and studied for DAT all summer). I wanted to know other people's opinion? I was told to not apply to schools with cutoff and I don't think any of them have it (unsure about UMD tho!!!). I sooo nervous about VCU, that's the only one I've submitted so far! I still need for my DAT score to process.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you were not FAP eligible or qualified for reduced DAT fees? Were your parents immigrants?

I would think you have a chance for the home team (VCU). USC... unless you meant MUSC, I think you should look at the tuition price tag. I would need a better idea of mission fit with the schools on your list. I don't know why Penn or Ohio State.

Yeah I don't think Imma apply to MUSC anymore LOL. I was just choosing east coast schools and I chose Penn and Ohio just cause I had family there. I think I might switch to Pittsburg and Temple instead. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I don't think Imma apply to MUSC anymore LOL. I was just choosing east coast schools and I chose Penn and Ohio just cause I had family there. I think I might switch to Pittsburg and Temple instead. What do you think?
temple would be a good substitute. Pittsburg could also be one to consider, otherwise maybe Case Western

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! This is my first time submitting this type of post so I was just curious on what my chances are.

Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.83

DAT Score: 21AA
Math: 21
Perceptual: 21
Reading: 16 (ouch I know ;-; hopefully I can explain?)
Organic: 22
Chemistry: 23
Biology: 22

Undergrad: Virginia Tech
Major: Biochemistry (Gonna be a senior and hopefully graduate this fall)
Minor: n/a
Minority: Bangladeshi Asian so no I think (low income + first gen if that matters)

Shadowing: I got around a little over 350+ in person hours with two general dentists (one did more ortho and the other one did more extractions)
Volunteer: Like 800+ lol I've been a part of my community program since I was a child for a long time where I raised money with fundraisers or raffles, been the English speaker, and have also performed dances. I've always been involved in volunteering like the YMCA food distribution and volunteered for research for one semester.

Employment: Like 2000+ hours where I work currently as a Pharmacy technician and Lab stockroom student for Organic / Analytical chemistry. I've also worked at customer service like retail and food services ever since I was 16 (I made this a big point in my personal statement).

Other EC: Biochemistry Club, I paint canvases and do nails! (mentioned both of these manual dex in my personal statement)

Honors or Awards: Dean's list, got 2 scholarships from Virginia Tech (one academic and another one for underrepresented students), and 1 scholarships from Comcast leader's program

LOR: Two of them were my biochemistry professors and one was a dentist I shadowed (all strong)

School list:
VCU (Goal school cause I'm from RVA / instate!)
UMD
USC
Rutgers
UPenn
Ohio (maybe applying)
Temple (maybe applying)

I would like to know what you guys think and if I should apply to more or less schools with my stats. I don't have the type of money to spend a lot on apps especially after the DAT and not working the first time this summer (shadowed and studied for DAT all summer). I wanted to know other people's opinion? I was told to not apply to schools with cutoff and I don't think any of them have it (unsure about UMD tho!!!). I sooo nervous about VCU, that's the only one I've submitted so far! I still need for my DAT score to process.
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?
No, not at any dental schools. I've always been busy working and I only had this summer to dedicate shadowing and studying DAT. Will that hinder my application?

No, not at any dental schools. I've always been busy working and I only had this summer to dedicate shadowing and studying DAT. Will that hinder my application?
doing it helps
not doing it does not hurt...

What do you think my chances are at the schools? Especially VCU?
your chances are higher than most to get an invite at any school, but your list is quite short IMO, although you don't have any reach schools, so it could be ok
and you are short on safety schools...

Reactions: 1 user