WAMC?? Reapplying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shyannar1133

Reaction score
Reapplying this upcoming cycle.

Rejected by: Kansas State, Purdue, Ohio State, Univ. of Illinois, Iowa State

Wait listed by: LMU

I live in New Jersey, no instate option, planning on mixed animal medicine.

Schools Planning on Applying/Looking into Upcoming cycle: Kansas State, Purdue, Ohio State (50/50 on), Univ. of Illinois, Iowa State, LMU, Univ of Edinburgh, Univ of Glasgow

(Any other options based on the information provided regarding chances of getting into other schools feel free to let me know.)

Information for this past cycle per VMCAS:

Cumulative GPA: 3.56

Science GPA: 3.34

Last 45 GPA: ??

(According to Kansas State: Science GPA: 3.24 Prerequisite GPA: 3.60 Last 45 credit-hour GPA: 3.40 Previous incoming classes, average prerequisite science GPA has been 3.3-3.7)

(I understand that each school calculates the GPA on their own, so if anyone has information about how to do this for each school that would be appreciated. I did take an extra semester which those grades would not have been included in my past application GPA.)

Degrees Held: A.S Equine Science Pre-Vet option and B.S Animal Science Pre Vet and Research Track (as of Jan 2022)

CASPER Results: for the past cycle 100th percentile

GRE Results: Not taking the GRE

(Retaking it this year since we have to)

Cumulative GPA From Each School As of Today

RCSJ (Community college, A.S): 3.68

Rutgers University (B.S): 3.476

The hours and information below reflect what would be included in my upcoming VMCAS Application:

Veterinary Experience (with a Veterinarian): 1,001 Small Animal

(Really hard to get exotic or livestock experience in my area (and additional research). Possibly shadowing state vet this summer, looking for another job.)

Volunteer (not animal related): ~1,011 hrs (and increasing during the summer)

-Historical Involvement, College Volunteer Mentoring, This is How We Role Program (Purdue Univ, my undergrad is the first pre-vet and undergrad branch of this program) 4-H Club Leader and Community Service Projects

Animal Experience (no Veterinarian Involved): 5,838 hrs (and possibly increasing this summer)

-Certified Pullorum Disease Tester, Pet Sitter, Farm Work, 4-H, Practicum Courses in College

Extracurricular Activities: 5,543 hrs (and possibly increasing this summer)

-College Club Involvement and Positions Held, Pet CPR Training, 4-H

Research
: 150 hrs

-Equine Research

Employment (Not Animal Related): 195 hrs

-Paid Mentoring through Rutgers SEBS EOF

Achievements:

Numerous academic achievements within the Animal Science Department, EOF Department, Dean’s Lists, President’s Lists, multiple scholarships, awards through 4-H and college.

I was able to get an interview with LMU this past cycle, but now waitlisted and viewing it as a rejection basically. I know last cycle I didn’t include a lot of volunteer experience, and this upcoming cycle I have more detail regarding my experiences.

The information Kansas State provided in my application review didn’t really help regarding what I should focus on (ie just grades, or just experience, etc). I have a meeting with Purdue in June to review my application more.

University of Illinois said that my GPA and prerequisite requirements were fine, I was just cut below the academic line they made which is based upon the GPA factor and applicant pool. I did forget to ask what my GPA was for their school.

I have some options:

• Take 1-2 undergraduate level 300/400 courses in the fall and spring to raise my GPA (although it won’t really affect this cycle.), work part time and have little to no volunteer work
  • Work part time and volunteer as well, but GPA stays the same
I have investigated master’s programs; however, I am currently not in a situation to move to a different state or to pay the tuition online with no financial aid. Univ of Penn has an online master’s certificate in Animal Welfare and Behavior that I do like. I know NC State has a fully online animal nutrition certificate. I am also aware of the LMU 1 year master’s program. All 3 I thought about applying to this upcoming year but due to reasons mentioned I am deciding not to.

I plan on applying to these programs when the applications open beginning of 2023, depending upon the results in the fall regarding vet school status.

I do plan on completing he Purdue Certificate for Diversity and Inclusion in Veterinary Medicine, which I know won't help me academically or vet experience wise, but is something to do in this transition period I am in.

Thoughts, opinions, advice is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would say your grades are sufficient for admission and right around mine were. My last 45 were a bit higher, but with other parts of your app would alright. Definitely hear from that other file review. As well as see if you can ask other vet schools that you’re thinking about applying to see if they can give you an opinion. Last summer I contacted Tufts and the admission people were great to talk to about my grades and resume.
I’m also from NJ and got into Ohio and LIU this past cycle and waitlisted from LMU and Michigan. I would say add LIU and Michigan to your list. Kansas I have heard has a low OOS ratio of admits, but I’m not sure.
Make sure you include EVERYTHING on your app from high school til now. Every volunteer activity or any job. I included a lot. Make sure your personal statement is well edited and tells your story of why vet med.
Any way you can get more volunteer hours and diverse experience? How much will those classes raise your gpa?

Reactions: 1 user
I would say your grades are sufficient for admission and right around mine were. My last 45 were a bit higher, but with other parts of your app would alright. Definitely hear from that other file review. As well as see if you can ask other vet schools that you’re thinking about applying to see if they can give you an opinion. Last summer I contacted Tufts and the admission people were great to talk to about my grades and resume.
I’m also from NJ and got into Ohio and LIU this past cycle and waitlisted from LMU and Michigan. I would say add LIU and Michigan to your list. Kansas I have heard has a low OOS ratio of admits, but I’m not sure.
Make sure you include EVERYTHING on your app from high school til now. Every volunteer activity or any job. I included a lot. Make sure your personal statement is well edited and tells your story of why vet med.
Any way you can get more volunteer hours and diverse experience? How much will those classes raise your gpa?
I will look into contacting the schools I am looking at (and others) and see if they have advice regarding my grades and resume; I never thought about doing it prior to applying. Thanks.
Michigan was on my radar due to how they do classes (the systemic approach ie all classes learn about the pulmonary system for 3 weeks, then move only lymph, etc). It was more so the area (don't really like the cold), but at this rate I will deal with it lol. I will for sure look into LIU and Michigan.
I thought Kansas had a 50/50 ratio, which is why I applied, but maybe not. I looked at their past years of students accepted and it looked to be closer to 50/50 then other schools.
I will admit that last application was not as detailed as this is now; so I have a lot more. For example my 4-H experience is across 8 years as a member involved in 8 different clubs (animal and non animal), being county ambassador for 2 years, multiple volunteer experiences (animal and non animal) and others. So I have lots more detail in this application.
So I have started getting involved in my local historical society doing archiving and outreach events and I will be with them during the summer as the minimum and throughout the fall and next year too. I reached out to the local rodeo for a possible opportunity, but there really isn't anything else (my main issue is my driving, which I am working on). I am also still working with 4-H and volunteering with them. Any other volunteer ideas would be great! I'm looking more for organizations to work closely with instead of one or 2 day events here and there.
There are other programs I am possibly going to apply too, but they are all held after the deadline, so it would help for next year's app just no this year.
Regarding increasing my GPA according to my academic advisor and the professor for these courses, taking 1-2 each semester and getting all A's won't really affect my GPA that much. So really debating about it, I am signed up for one class now; but waiting to see what Purdue says hopefully I can be pointed in a somewhat more direct path. It's also not sounding like a bad idea to work and get experiences else where this year and then possibly a master's program if needed next year.
Also are you north or south jersey if you don't mind me asking. I'm south jersey.

I will look into contacting the schools I am looking at (and others) and see if they have advice regarding my grades and resume; I never thought about doing it prior to applying. Thanks.
Michigan was on my radar due to how they do classes (the systemic approach ie all classes learn about the pulmonary system for 3 weeks, then move only lymph, etc). It was more so the area (don't really like the cold), but at this rate I will deal with it lol. I will for sure look into LIU and Michigan.
I thought Kansas had a 50/50 ratio, which is why I applied, but maybe not. I looked at their past years of students accepted and it looked to be closer to 50/50 then other schools.
I will admit that last application was not as detailed as this is now; so I have a lot more. For example my 4-H experience is across 8 years as a member involved in 8 different clubs (animal and non animal), being county ambassador for 2 years, multiple volunteer experiences (animal and non animal) and others. So I have lots more detail in this application.
So I have started getting involved in my local historical society doing archiving and outreach events and I will be with them during the summer as the minimum and throughout the fall and next year too. I reached out to the local rodeo for a possible opportunity, but there really isn't anything else (my main issue is my driving, which I am working on). I am also still working with 4-H and volunteering with them. Any other volunteer ideas would be great! I'm looking more for organizations to work closely with instead of one or 2 day events here and there.
There are other programs I am possibly going to apply too, but they are all held after the deadline, so it would help for next year's app just no this year.
Regarding increasing my GPA according to my academic advisor and the professor for these courses, taking 1-2 each semester and getting all A's won't really affect my GPA that much. So really debating about it, I am signed up for one class now; but waiting to see what Purdue says hopefully I can be pointed in a somewhat more direct path. It's also not sounding like a bad idea to work and get experiences else where this year and then possibly a master's program if needed next year.
Also are you north or south jersey if you don't mind me asking. I'm south jersey.
Oh yeah you're right, I think I decided against applying to Kansas was distance and their gpa was higher than mine. But yeah they actually do have a good OOS ratio, so def apply there if you want to. That's great, that you're being more detailed, definitely be helpful. Doing non related animal volunteering is good too. I would suggest even like an hour or 2 a week volunteering food banks or things like that. Are there any wildlife refuge/rescues near you? I was able to do that with no experience as they train you. Any rescue farms nearby either? Not sure if you're more rural or urban.
Yeah I was gonna do a master's program and decided against it. I decided to just work and gain vet hours.
I live in Hunterdon county, so kinda central if you believe that central NJ exists haha.

Reactions: 1 user