WAMC + School List: 3.85/522

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppathepig

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I need some help with creating a school list. Thank you in advance for your advice! ( Posting again due to no responses last time /; )

General information + statistics:
  • cGPA: 3.85, sGPA: 3.65
    • My first semester of college, I ended with a C in Physics 1 and a B- in Calculus A. However, since then I have received almost all A's, other than a B+ in Bio2/Biochemistry (one class) and a B- in Organic Chemistry II; so an upward trend with a few bumps (?)
  • Resident: NJ, Undergraduate: Public College in NJ
  • South Asian female
  • Major: Psychology & Public Health
  • MCAT: 522
  • Undergrad in 3 years; 4th year/gap year: research & volunteering
EC's:
  • Research: +1000 hours
    • Social-justice oriented lab at Harvard Medical School for about 3 years
    • Similar social-justice oriented lab with a medical focus at JHU for 2 years
    • Policy research at Duke for one summer
  • Publications: 6 publications; one as first author, two (potentially three by the time I apply) as second author
  • Posters: 5 posters, three as first author
  • Clinical Experience: +1,000 hours as an EMT for 3 years; 200 hours from COVID-19 testing in local hospital
  • One semester TA for psychology research seminar class
  • Other: heavily involved in college student government for 3 years; president and founder of a pre-health fraternity; president of leadership honors society; various leadership positions for an Indian student association club; member of a non-profit organization that focuses on health literacy; campaign intern for about 7 months for local congressman; worked virtually with under-privileged communities during the peak of the pandemic to understand their needs and identify how to best fill any gaps through training and creation of material needed
  • Shadowing: about 60 hours across various specialties (difficult to find shadowing during COVID-19)
  • Hobbies: running half marathons (not sure if I should include this in my application)
  • Currently applying to Rhodes/Fulbright/other scholarships (of course none are guaranteed)
Other:
  • Will have pretty strong LORs from research mentors
  • No immediate family members in medicine
  • No disadvantaged status

Which schools should I be looking at? I am concerned due to my low science GPA. Also, any places for improvement that I could tackle until I apply next cycle? @Goro @LizzyM @Faha
I suggest
All NJ schools
U. Penn
All NYC titans
Hofstra
Harvard
Yale
JHU
Vandy
BU
Tufts
Case
OH STATE
U CINCY
Northwestern
U Chicago
WashU
Baylor
U VM
U VA
U. MI
U MA
DUNY.SB
UTxSW
UCLA
UCSF
USF
Stanford
Keck
Western MI
U Miami
SLU
U WI
DUKE

Reactions: 1 user
Goro's list is fine but you don't need all of those schools so from that list pick not more than 25. The problem with too long a list is that the secondaries will kill you and if you get a bunch of interview invites before you get an offer (and offers don't go out until Oct 15 at the earliest and for some for the top schools, not until Feb/Mar) you really need to go to every interview. That's become easier with online interviewing but who knows if we'll be back to in-person interviews in the 2022-23 season.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest
All NJ schools
U. Penn
All NYC titans
Hofstra
Harvard
Yale
JHU
Vandy
BU
Tufts
Case
OH STATE
U CINCY
Northwestern
U Chicago
WashU
Baylor
U VM
U VA
U. MI
U MA
DUNY.SB
UTxSW
UCLA
UCSF
USF
Stanford
Keck
Western MI
U Miami
SLU
U WI
DUKE
Thank you so much! How realistic would my chances be for schools such as JHU, Harvard, Stanford? I understand the chances for T5/T10 are albeit low for everyone, but is there anything I can do in the meantime regarding my EC's or other aspects of my application that could help boost it?

Goro's list is fine but you don't need all of those schools so from that list pick not more than 25. The problem with too long a list is that the secondaries will kill you and if you get a bunch of interview invites before you get an offer (and offers don't go out until Oct 15 at the earliest and for some for the top schools, not until Feb/Mar) you really need to go to every interview. That's become easier with online interviewing but who knows if we'll be back to in-person interviews in the 2022-23 season.
Thank you!! From Goro's list, and similar to the question I asked based on Goro's reply, how realistic would reaching for the T10 schools be (esp. in regard for narrowing down which schools to apply to)? I'm also worried about my science GPA

Thank you!! From Goro's list, and similar to the question I asked based on Goro's reply, how realistic would reaching for the T10 schools be (esp. in regard for narrowing down which schools to apply to)? I'm also worried about my science GPA
Remove those schools where your GPAs are < their 10th %iles.

Reactions: 1 users