Dec 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi everyone, I'll be applying in the upcoming cycle and was hoping for some final feedback on my application and school list! Please let me know what you think, and I appreciate the help!

• Race: ORM(White)
  • State/Country of Residence: New Hampshire
  • Year in School: Graduated
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biomedical Engineering/Mathematics at a state university
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.94
  • Science GPA: 3.94
  • MCAT Score(s): 522(131/129/131/131)
  • Research Experience: 500 hours of engineering project-related work. Co-PI for the project, applied for and received funding.
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): none
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 550 hours (will still be accumulating until matriculation)
    • 500 hours as a volunteer EMT (continuing 50 hours/month until matriculation)
    • 50 hours as a recreational therapy aide in a stroke rehabilitation unit. (cut short due to COVID)
    • Beginning full-time work as a Medical Assistant in May. Will be working 40 hrs/week until matriculation. Hoping this experience makes up for the lack of in-person shadowing.
  • Physician Shadowing: 30 hours virtual shadowing. Attempting to set up in-person shadowing in the next month, but local hospitals and clinics still have their shadowing programs shut down.
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 375 hours
    • 100 Hours Crisis Text Line (another 100 hours projected for next year)
    • 75 Hours tutoring underserved high school students online
    • 200 hours as an assistant varsity high school baseball coach
  • Other Extracurricular Activities/Leadership:
  • Member of a Division 1 varsity baseball team for three years in college. (2000+ hours)
  • Worked for two years in college as a Resident Academic Mentor, a live-in position in a freshman residence hall that served as a tutor and a resource for students acclimating to first-year college life. (800 hours)
  • One year of full-time employment as an electrical engineer after graduation. (2000 hours)
  • Summer intern (~500 hours) with a pharmaceutical manufacturing company.
  • Relevant honors or awards: Deans list all semesters, American Legion Baseball All-Academic Team
  • Letters: Anticipating strong letters from the Assistant Dean of my university's college of engineering, letters from coaches/volunteer supervisors/professors.
  • Medical School List: I'm worried my list is topheavy, but I'm applying to ~30 schools as follows:
  • Brown
    Case Western
    Columbia
    Dartmouth
    Einstein
    Emory
    Harvard
    Hofstra
    Northwestern
    NYU
    Pitt
    Sinai
    Yale
    Tufts
    GW
    UColorado
    UConn
    UMass
    UMich
    UPenn
    UVM
    Vanderbilt
    WashU
    Jefferson
    Mayo
    Cornell
    Ohio State
    Rochester
    Maryland
    Hopkins
    Cinci

Banco

7+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Your list is fine for your stellar application. Your stats + being Co-PI + D1 athlete will get you hits from top tiers. The medical assistant position should provide physician contact so the lack of in person shadowing isn't a big deal imo.

Just make sure to get good LORs and write strong essays and you'll be fine.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.