WAMC / School List - 3.94 GPA, 507 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JacobStatson

Reaction score
First SDN post! I would love to have some help with a school list. I plan on applying both DO and MD. Thank you all!
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.94 and 3.93 respectively
  2. MCAT score: 507, 126/125/130/126
  3. CASPer: 4th
  4. State of residence: TX
  5. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM, MENA
  6. 600+ research hours (two poster presentations and planned article submission soon), 600+ hours as a medical scribe, 200+ as a clinical volunteer, and 50+ as a non-clinical volunteer.
  7. Teaching assistant for multiple semesters, freshmen mentor, multiple academic awards and awarded for my teaching assistant responsibilities. President of a pre-health on-campus organization.
  8. Five letters, included MD letter and a committee evaluation. Writing revised by multiple people.

Members don't see this ad.

Please provide details on your clinical and non-clinical experience. 50 hours as a non-clinical volunteer is low, and your application risks getting screened out.

I need more details on your activities and a sense of your purpose as a future physician. Where did you grow up in Texas?

Please provide details on your clinical and non-clinical experience. 50 hours as a non-clinical volunteer is low, and your application risks getting screened out.

I need more details on your activities and a sense of your purpose as a future physician. Where did you grow up in Texas?
My paid clinical experience involves only my time as a medical scribe (600). My clinical volunteer involves patient experience ambassador (130) and some free clinics (20). Non-clinical volunteer involves vaccine center volunteer (30), food bank (10), and tutor (20). I did not include my time as a teaching assistant and mentor as "non-clinical volunteer experience" but more as leadership.

I grew up in northern Dallas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you could receive interviews. For AMCAS schools you could try TCU and Tulane.
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you could receive interviews. For AMCAS schools you could try TCU and Tulane.
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Will do! Thank you.

Non-clinical volunteer involves vaccine center volunteer (30), food bank (10), and tutor (20).
Keep in mind, your chances are much better if you get to 150 total hours at submission in service orientation non-clinical activities, and many of us won't really consider activities that have fewer than 50 hours as being a serious activity. Get many more hours at the food bank or similar non-clinical service activities (job placement assistance, shelter volunteering, housing rehabilitation, transportation services) before applying... though if you already sent something in, we'll just see how the rest of your application is viewed.

Keep in mind, your chances are much better if you get to 150 total hours at submission in service orientation non-clinical activities, and many of us won't really consider activities that have fewer than 50 hours as being a serious activity. Get many more hours at the food bank or similar non-clinical service activities (job placement assistance, shelter volunteering, housing rehabilitation, transportation services) before applying... though if you already sent something in, we'll just see how the rest of your application is viewed.
I understand. I plan to achieve roughly 100+ additional hours at the food bank by the end of this year. I am also enrolled as a crisis text-line volunteer and hospice volunteer, which I plan to start soon. However, I do not believe those fit the service criteria. I have already sent in my TMDSAS primaries, but have not applied to any out-of-state schools yet.
I will most definitely dedicate more time onto service-oriented activities within the next year in preparation for next cycle. I also have plans to re-take my MCAT early next year, considering my FL averages were much higher than what I scored. Anything else I should consider for next cycle?

I understand. I plan to achieve roughly 100+ additional hours at the food bank by the end of this year. I am also enrolled as a crisis text-line volunteer and hospice volunteer, which I plan to start soon. However, I do not believe those fit the service criteria. I have already sent in my TMDSAS primaries, but have not applied to any out-of-state schools yet.
I will most definitely dedicate more time onto service-oriented activities within the next year in preparation for next cycle. I also have plans to re-take my MCAT early next year, considering my FL averages were much higher than what I scored. Anything else I should consider for next cycle?
How much recon/research have you done on the Texas schools? TMDSAS/TxHES has a library of webinars they have posted on YouTube and have general office hours very frequently.

How much recon/research have you done on the Texas schools? TMDSAS/TxHES has a library of webinars they have posted on YouTube and have general office hours very frequently.
I have done a reasonable amount of recon on the Texas schools and have dabbled quite a bit on the YouTube videos they have posted. With some good writing, do you think I could receive a couple of interviews from Texas schools this cycle? I applied early if that helps.

UIWSOM
OSU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
As of right now, I plan on Drexel, TCU, and Tulane for AMCAS schools. I know OOS institutions are typically hesitant when selecting Texas residents, but do you recommend any other schools I could try?

As of right now, I plan on Drexel, TCU, and Tulane for AMCAS schools. I know OOS institutions are typically hesitant when selecting Texas residents, but do you recommend any other schools I could try?
No other OOS MD schools are realistic as a Texas resident.

I have done a reasonable amount of recon on the Texas schools and have dabbled quite a bit on the YouTube videos they have posted. With some good writing, do you think I could receive a couple of interviews from Texas schools this cycle? I applied early if that helps.
Great. Let's see what happens. I think there are AMMSA chapters with many of your Texas schools, so you may want to check with student officers about their experience.