WAMC/School List 3.99/4.00, 516, Florida Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuhDudeee

Reaction score
******PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE******

Looking for some feedback on my school list! Thanks for any help!
  1. cGPA: 3.99 and sGPA: 4.0
  2. MCAT: 516, 129 for all sections
  3. Country/State of Residence: US, FL
  4. Ethnicity/Race: Hispanic/White (Venezuelan, don’t speak Spanish)
  5. Undergraduate institution: State public school
  6. Clinical experience:
    • 120 hrs at a free clinic taking patient vitals/scribing (most meaningful)
    • 75 hours hospice volunteer working with multiple patients.
  1. Research experience:
  • 650 hours in aging/nutrition research lab (most meaningful). No poster/pubs, very long projects with 3+ year estimate for gathering enough data. Completed 3 projects.
  • Presented literature review poster for environmental sustainability at Florida Honors collegiate meeting (60 hours).
  1. Shadowing: 40 hours primary care and 40 hours various specialties (anesthesia, ortho, plastics, GI, etc.)
  2. Non-clinical volunteering: None
  3. Other extracurricular activities:
  • President of Pre-Med club, officer for over a year. Have grown the club significantly in the past year and frequently collaborate with Mayo Clinic medical students in Jax.
  • Treasurer of the Cooking club.
  • Supplemental Instruction leader and Student Academic Success Leadership Team employment (1100 hours total) (most meaningful).
  1. Relevant honors:
  • Member of the Hicks Honors College
  • Dean’s list every semester
  • Awarded Transformation Learning scholarship for research.
  1. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
  • A big part of my personal statement highlights my battle with debilitating Tourette’s syndrome from age 11-16. Tics are now completely under control and are barely noticeable/do not impact any part of my daily functioning.
  • Research/volunteer hours are low due to COVID. My county was one, if not the hardest hit in South Florida and my nuclear family imploded during the pandemic, meaning I had to stay home away from my campus in North Florida.
  • Keeping any specialty on the table but interested in primary care and anesthesia.

School list: Now that my MCAT has just come in, I understand that some of my “rankings” for schools may be different.

Safe schools:

FSU
Albany Medical College
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Rush (Chicago)
Louisville (KY)
Uni of Washington
Target Schools:

FAU
FIU
Nova
University of Central Florida
University of Miami
UNC Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
USC Greenville
Drexel PA
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
Penn State (Online may be an issue)
George Washington
Georgetown University
NY Med College
Albert Einstein COM
Virginia Commonwealth
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Sidney Kimmel Jefferson
Eastern Virginia
St. Louis
Loyola
Lewis Katz Temple (PA)
Wayne State

Reach Schools:

UF
USF
University of Michigan
Mayo
WashU (516 Min)
Kaiser Permanente Bernard J Tyson School of medicine
Northwestern
Emory

Members don't see this ad.

Remove U Washington (admit less than 1% of applicants who are not from the Northwest states), Louisville, USC Greenville and UNC. Rush and St. Louis are looking for applicants with many more hours of clinical and non clinical volunteering than you have. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.