WAMC/School List: 4.00/525 low service hours Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huhduh

Reaction score
1. cGPA/sGPA: 4.00
2. MCAT: 525 (131/130/132/132)
3. NJ Resident
4. Asian
5. Top 30 private undergrad
6. Clinical Experience: 50 hrs hospital volunteering, 200 hrs working as receptionist/assistant in primary care physician's office
7. Research: 1200+ hours in organic chem/somewhat pharmacology related lab, currently no publications 1 poster presentation
8. Shadowing: 30 hours primary care
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours advocacy
10. Other extracurriculars: tutor at university tutoring center (400+ hrs), VP of school's chem honors society
11. Dean's list
12. I'm planning on increasing my clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours over my gap year, but I'm planning to apply in May for 2024 matriculation, so everything would still be projected hours at that point.

Here's the school list I've come up with (no order):
NYU
UPenn
Duke
Columbia
Johns Hopkins
Ohio State University
Rutgers
UCLA
UC Davis
Mount Sinai
Mayo Clinic
Northwestern
Pittsburgh
UMichigan
Cornell
Chicago
Stanford
Brown
Einstein
Kaiser
Rochester
Case Western
UMassachusetts
UVA
Boston
University of Illinois

Any ideas on what else to do during my gap year/strengthen my application or suggestions for the school list would be really helpful, thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

You said it... more bona fide community service. Not tutoring. Not advocacy (though do it if you are passionate). Food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or housing rehabilitation are typical options. The more hours, the better your application will be balanced for brand schools, but I lack any sense of your purpose and mission fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Projected hours don’t count for much. You would be well served to apply in 2024. This would give you time to beef up your application. It looks like you can make room for activities that you like(research and tutoring). But those are all very much in your comfort zone. You need to get outside your comfort zone, off campus and get your hands dirty. Medicine is a service profession. ADCOMS will be looking for your altruism in your activities .

Reactions: 1 users