WAMC/school list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotmolecules98

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd truly appreciate help with my school list!

About me: VA resident, URM,

3.84 cGPA major upward trend (only As after first year) , AMCAS sGPA = 3.89, AACOMAS sGPA = 3.94

2 Years Community College (3.727 GPA) + 2 Year University (4.0 GPA)

MCAT: 512

Paid Clinical: 400 hours medical assistant at a mobile COVID testing site (COVID testing during the peak of COVID, I did the swabs myself with training and supervision from an ER Physician, also did rapid antigen testing and sent PCR’s to the lab)

Unpaid Clinical: 100 hours Medical Assistant Urgent Care (taking vitals and records for physicians)

Non-clinical Volunteering:

· 200 Hours Crisis Text Line

· 50 Hours at a Food Pantry creating food and household item care packages for families that are in quarantine during COVID.

· 100 hours with a free meal food truck organization cooking, packaging, and distributing vegetarian meals to food insecure families and food insecure students at elementary schools.

Shadowing: 40 hours with 2 primary care physicians, looking into getting specialty shadowing hours

Tutoring/TA:

· 120 hours Student Preceptor for Cell and Molecular (took this as a pass/fail 2 credit courses, can I still list it under TA/tutoring?)

o Helped the professor take attendance for a large class with the purpose of collecting data for their research as well as extra credit.

o Tasked with creating and holding review sessions for students that struggled with the material, consistent attendance in my review sessions with large amount of students.

Leadership:

· 75 hours Lead Student Preceptor for Cell and Molecular (took this as a pass/fail 2 credit course, can I still list it under leadership?)

o Organized preceptor teams for large enrollment

o Preceptor mentorship and training

o Data entry of course materials and execution of group work

o Assisted the professor in lecture.

· 100 Hours eSports Team Captain

o Organized practice schedules

o Individually talked to all team members about sport-related topics

o Assisted in coaching other teams.

o In-game strategies and shot calling

Research: 270 hours with epidemiology lab doing nicotine intake studies, one first author poster presented at undergraduate research symposium, no publications.

Intercollegiate Athletics: ~1000 Hours, 2x NJCAA/NJCAAe National Champion (Community College had eSports as an established intercollegiate athletics sport which was recognized in-state and nationally, was wondering if this would be alright to list as intercollegiate athletics if recognized by intercollegiate athletics organizations.)

Paid Employment (non-clinical) – 250 Hours – Pizzaiolo - sibling created a wood-fired pizza business and I assisted in his company in making dough, topping pizzas, handling customers, and cooking pizza in a brick oven. We went to many holiday events, community events, and festivals using a mobile brick oven.

Hobbies:

· I am adept at playing the piano, alto saxophone, and fingerstyle acoustic guitar. It’s a de-stressor to me to play music.

· Play lacrosse.

Target schools:

Albany Medical College

Burnett School of Medicine at TCU

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine

GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences

Howard University College of Medicine

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple

Medical College of Wisconsin

Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEO)

Robert Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont

Rush University Medical College (might drop due to low non-clinical for this school)

University of Toledo College of Medicine

Tulane School of Medicine

University of Illinois College of Medicine

University of South Carolina School of Medicine

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Wake Forest University School of Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

West Virginia University School of Medicine

Western Michigan Stryker School of Medicine

Marshall University Edwards School of Medicine

Reach schools:

Creighton University School of Medicine (might drop due to low non-clinical)

Drexel University College of Medicine (might drop due to low non-clinical)

Frank H. Netter School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth

Georgetown University School of Medicine (might drop due to low non-clinical)

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine

Stritch School of Medicine at Loyola University

Kimmel Medical School at Thomas Jefferson University

Tufts University School of Medicine

University of Colorado School of Medicine

UCONN School of Medicine

University of Maryland Medical School

Virginia Tech (worth applying? they don’t take many in-state and my research is not crazy good)

UVA (worth applying? their median MCAT is 520 and median gpa is 3.93 according to MSAR)

DO School

ATSU – Arizona

ATSU – Kirksville

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine

VCOM – Blacksburg

Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine

LECOM

Lincoln Memorial Debusk (LMU-DCOM)

LMU-DCOM Knoxville

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Touro Nevada (TUNCOM)

Rocky Vista (RVUCOM)

Alabama (ACOM)

Michigan State University (MSUCOM)

New York (NYIT-COM)

Members don't see this ad.

Good job. How much networking have you done with schools in the state? AMSA or SNMA networking? How do you identify as a URM?

Mission fit? Your experiences look solid so what do you want to be doing as a physician?

I would remove for-profit DO schools in your list. You should expect higher, and you have a very strong chance with the state schools including VCOM.

If you could just keep working on clinical experience, you should be set.

Good job. How much networking have you done with schools in the state? AMSA or SNMA networking? How do you identify as a URM?

Mission fit? Your experiences look solid so what do you want to be doing as a physician?

I would remove for-profit DO schools in your list. You should expect higher, and you have a very strong chance with the state schools including VCOM.

If you could just keep working on clinical experience, you should be set.
As far as my state of Virginia, I attended one and graduated. I have some connections with the medical school faculty as well as researchers at this university. As far as AMSA, SNMA, etc, I do not have any networking with them. I am Hispanic with a working knowledge of Spanish. I am mainly interested in primary care at this moment with a slight leaning towards pathology as I have in interest in the topic. However, I would say primary care with underserved communities would be my main mission. The COVID testing center I worked at and the urgent care I was with were in an area with a high density of minority groups, I probably should’ve added that information. As far as MD schools, would you remove or add any based on this list that I have currently. I only have direct ties with VA.

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state or region,
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UVA
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
Belmont
George Washington
Drexel