WAMC+School List Help (3.63cGPA/3.43sGPA, 513 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubbycakes

Reaction score
GPA: 3.63 cGPA/ 3.43 cGPA. Had an awful sophomore year but my junior senior year have hgh upward trend (3.93 average in all science courses)
MCAT: 513 (127,127,128,131), I can potentially retake on saturday as fls were 515-520.
CA resident, ORM (Indian), first gen
Graduating from mid-low undergrad this quarter, bio major

Clinical:
1000 hours as a scribe at a nephrology clinic
250 hours volunteer at Kaiser with duties similar to CNA, lots of volunteering in primary care departments (75 would include non clinical volunteering)
250 hours as a Covid-19 tester and swabber during omnicron surge

Nonclinical volunteering:
75 hours as youth basketball head coach for an underserved recreational league
Planning on adding more activities such as tutoring and food 4 less
75 Taught Yoga to senior population as part of a Yoga Club

Shadowing:
A combined 150 hours under two specialties and 3 primary care departments

leadership:
200 hours Covid Clinic Manager for two locations
200 hours Chair of Programming for my freshman dorms (organized events throughout the quarter)
400 hours Cope Health Scholars department coordinator (oversaw the Vaccine Clinic at a Kaiser Hospital, along with training other volunteers
100 Vice President for Yoga Club

Bias towards underserved areas as I grew up in said area for the majority of my childhood. However, I would be happy at any MD school and have no issue leaving state if necessary. Don't have a school list besides CA state schools. Willing to take CASPER if any school requires it.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Belmont (when it opens)

Members don't see this ad :)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Belmont (when it opens)
Thank you for the school list!

Clarify about retaking the MCAT. You either are or are not, if it's scheduled for a few days from today.
I believe I can get a 517+ with a retake. However, based on past threads I’m not sure if it would have a large impact on my application so I was having second thoughts.

I believe I can get a 517+ with a retake. However, based on past threads I’m not sure if it would have a large impact on my application so I was having second thoughts.
Are you signed up to take the test and just asking if you should do it as opposed to voiding/not showing up on Sat?

Would not recommend a retake. The lower sGPA will hold you back regardless of a 5 point jump. Obtaining volunteering hours at a food bank or soup kitchen would be much more impactful at the schools you are more suited for from a stats perspective.

Are you signed up to take the test and just asking if you should do it as opposed to voiding/not showing up on Sat?

Would not recommend a retake. The lower sGPA will hold you back regardless of a 5 point jump. Obtaining volunteering hours at a food bank or soup kitchen would be much more impactful at the schools you are more suited for from a stats perspective.
Yes, I am signed up for tomorrow (Saturday). I wanted to know if there was any point in the retake as I hoped to somewhat offset the low sgpa. So a retake in your opinion would not be wise?

No since it wouldn’t offset the low GPA.
I understand. So no amount of increase in my mcat score would be able to help compensate for the lower gpa? Sorry if it seems I’m questioning you, I just want to be sure before I void my test.

Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Belmont (when it opens)
Which of these schools would be considered target schools? I have ties to riverside and Davis

I understand. So no amount of increase in my mcat score would be able to help compensate for the lower gpa? Sorry if it seems I’m questioning you, I just want to be sure before I void my test.
Many of the schools you will have to apply to will not care much about it. They value volunteering and community service to underserved populations, hence why their median MCAT scores tend to be lower.

Many of the schools you will have to apply to will not care much about it. They value volunteering and community service to underserved populations, hence why their median MCAT scores tend to be lower.
Thank you! I’ll focus more on some volunteering opportunities instead. So retaking the mcat will hurt my chances then.