WAMC/School List Help! (3.8/516)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGranolaKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not quote!!!
  • Year in school: Junior ORM Male (no gap year)
  • Country/state of residence: Texas
  • Undergrad Institution: T25 School in California (UCLA/USC/Berkeley)
    • Major: Economics/Mathematics
  • Schools to which you are applying: TMDSAS, Baylor
  • TMDSAS GPA: 3.84c/3.81s
  • AMCAS GPA: 3.82c/3.75s
  • MCAT Score: 516 (131/128/128/129)
  • Research:
    • 1000 hours mathematical oncology research
      • One poster submitted, presentation cancelled due to covid
      • Multiple competitive university research fellowships
  • Clinical Experience:
    • 200hrs ER Scribing
    • 100hrs Crisis Textline
  • Physician shadowing:
    • FM: 20hrs
    • Anesthesiology: 30hrs
    • Ortho: 20hrs
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • 100hrs teaching science at local low-income elementary school
    • 200hrs volunteer coaching youth soccer at local community center (VP then President)
    • 50hrs teaching economics at local low-income middle school
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • Full Ironman triathlon finisher, also on school's cycling and rock climbing teams
    • Mental Health Chair for Fraternity
    • Academic Tutor for SAT/ACT/high school
    • Day trading (since high school) with consistent returns
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): Yes
  • Honors:
    • Prestigious half tuition merit scholarship
  • Specialties of Interest: Ortho, Urology, ENT, Derm, Plastics, Neurosurg, Ophthalmology (not interested in primary care)
Definite School list:
Baylor
UTSW
UTH McGovern
UTHSCSA Long
UT Dell
UTMB
TTUHSC Lubbock
Texas A&M

Possible additions:
TCOM (DO)?
UH?
TTUHSC Foster?
UCLA?
UCSF?
UCSD?
USC?
UCI?

My questions:
-Is there any point in me applying OOS? My GPA and MCAT are within the 25-75th percentile limits for OOS Accepted students to the California schools on the MSAR, but I'm not sure if doing undergrad in California will help signal to those schools that I'm interested in staying out of Texas for med school too. Do I need to add some low-yield schools or anything like that?

-Should I apply DO at all? Should I even apply to TCOM, especially considering my specialties of interest, the residency merger, and p/f USMLE step 1 and 2CS? I can't apply to TCU-UNT (MD) since I won't have taken genetics, which they require.

-Is there any instance in which I should retake the MCAT? I'm assuming not (b/c it would bring my decision-making into question), but I got between a 520-524 on every single one of my practice exams so scoring a 516 on the real thing was pretty demoralizing.

-Would it be an extremely bad idea to not apply to TTUHSC Foster/UTRGV/SHSU, given that I really have no interest whatsoever in going to those schools?

Thanks in advance! @Goro @Faha @wysdoc

Members don't see this ad.

Add all other Texas MD schools (including TCU-UNT). You do not need to apply to OOS MD schools though you could apply to the medical school affiliated with your undergraduate school.

Reactions: 1 user
Add all other Texas MD schools (including TCU-UNT). You do not need to apply to OOS MD schools though you could apply to the medical school affiliated with your undergraduate school.
Thank you for the reply! How would I be able to go to TCU-UNT if they require genetics which I'd be unable to take before matriculation? And do you think I don't have a chance at the OOS MD schools? I just would be nervous about only applying to the 12 or so Texas schools and nowhere else, as it seems that most people try to apply to 15-25 at least

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! How would I be able to go to TCU-UNT if they require genetics which I'd be unable to take before matriculation? And do you think I don't have a chance at the OOS MD schools? I just would be nervous about only applying to the 12 or so Texas schools and nowhere else, as it seems that most people try to apply to 15-25 at least
OOS MD schools know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school so they are unlikely to interview Texas applicants. Exceptions are URM, former residents of the state or those who attended the undergraduate school or very high stat applicants.

Please do not quote!!!
  • Year in school: Junior ORM Male (no gap year)
  • Country/state of residence: Texas
  • Undergrad Institution: T25 School in California (UCLA/USC/Berkeley)
    • Major: Economics/Mathematics
  • Schools to which you are applying: TMDSAS, Baylor
  • TMDSAS GPA: 3.84c/3.81s
  • AMCAS GPA: 3.82c/3.75s
  • MCAT Score: 516 (131/128/128/129)
  • Research:
    • 1000 hours mathematical oncology research
      • One poster submitted, presentation cancelled due to covid
      • Multiple competitive university research fellowships
  • Clinical Experience:
    • 200hrs ER Scribing
    • 100hrs Crisis Textline
  • Physician shadowing:
    • FM: 20hrs
    • Anesthesiology: 30hrs
    • Ortho: 20hrs
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • 100hrs teaching science at local low-income elementary school
    • 200hrs volunteer coaching youth soccer at local community center (VP then President)
    • 50hrs teaching economics at local low-income middle school
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • Full Ironman triathlon finisher, also on school's cycling and rock climbing teams
    • Mental Health Chair for Fraternity
    • Academic Tutor for SAT/ACT/high school
    • Day trading (since high school) with consistent returns
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): Yes
  • Honors:
    • Prestigious half tuition merit scholarship
  • Specialties of Interest: Ortho, Urology, ENT, Derm, Plastics, Neurosurg, Ophthalmology (not interested in primary care)
Definite School list:
Baylor
UTSW
UTH McGovern
UTHSCSA Long
UT Dell
UTMB
TTUHSC Lubbock
Texas A&M

Possible additions:
TCOM (DO)?
UH?
TTUHSC Foster?
UCLA?
UCSF?
UCSD?
USC?
UCI?

My questions:
-Is there any point in me applying OOS? My GPA and MCAT are within the 25-75th percentile limits for OOS Accepted students to the California schools on the MSAR, but I'm not sure if doing undergrad in California will help signal to those schools that I'm interested in staying out of Texas for med school too. Do I need to add some low-yield schools or anything like that?

-Should I apply DO at all? Should I even apply to TCOM, especially considering my specialties of interest, the residency merger, and p/f USMLE step 1 and 2CS? I can't apply to TCU-UNT (MD) since I won't have taken genetics, which they require.

-Is there any instance in which I should retake the MCAT? I'm assuming not (b/c it would bring my decision-making into question), but I got between a 520-524 on every single one of my practice exams so scoring a 516 on the real thing was pretty demoralizing.

-Would it be an extremely bad idea to not apply to TTUHSC Foster/UTRGV/SHSU, given that I really have no interest whatsoever in going to those schools?

Thanks in advance! @Goro @Faha @wysdoc
No need for DO. Chances best with the TX schools as the wise Faha has outlined above. I think a few OOS MD might be doable, and they like TX superstars. Try Tulane, for starters.

No need for DO. Chances best with the TX schools as the wise Faha has outlined above. I think a few OOS MD might be doable, and they like TX superstars. Try Tulane, for starters.
Thank you! Do you think I have any chance at the california schools, given my undergrad there and extreme interest in living there for good?

Thank you! Do you think I have any chance at the california schools, given my undergrad there and extreme interest in living there for good?
Interest in living somewhere is, frankly, a worthless reason, if only because everybody wants to live in LA or SF. You need something concrete, like your SO having a job there, and/or living there now.

You should just email them and ask if genetics is a firm requirement.

Overall you have a great application. With regards to OOS, you can def try - if you're itching to send those california applications do it. You could also try regional schools where your stats make you a strong candidate. But your highest yield will still be TX.

You should just email them and ask if genetics is a firm requirement.

Overall you have a great application. With regards to OOS, you can def try - if you're itching to send those california applications do it. You could also try regional schools where your stats make you a strong candidate. But your highest yield will still be TX.
Got it! Just called and they actually do consider it a firm requirement unfortunately. Thank you for the kind words!