WAMC/School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halmoni

*neuroticism intensifies*
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend limiting your school list based on cost of attendance. With your MCAT score, you will be strongly considered for merit scholarships at a lot of top schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't recommend limiting your school list based on cost of attendance. With your MCAT score, you will be strongly considered for merit scholarships at a lot of top schools.
Oh I see. I heard that usually merit scholarships are reserved for super amazing applicants who have stellar stats and experiences. I really only have good stats so I wasn't sure if I'd be considered for stuff like scholarships lol.

Oh I see. I heard that usually merit scholarships are reserved for super amazing applicants who have stellar stats and experiences. I really only have good stats so I wasn't sure if I'd be considered for stuff like scholarships lol.

My friend, what in the hell are you talking about. You have a damn near perfect GPA and MCAT that would easily be classified as "stellar" and most definitely not "only good." Shoot for the stars, go big, you've earned it.

Reactions: 1 users
yo.. I swear just apply anywhere you want in fact only the place you want to be at. For instance, if you receive an interview invite, would you go interview at that school even though you have an acceptance from a more favorable school. If you do attend, are you still going to give that school a fair chance in your final decision making? Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone applying to med school because the entire process is way too low yield. However, in your case with awesome scores and ECs, I would only focus on schools you want to be at. This way, you can also save some money.

yo.. I swear just apply anywhere you want in fact only the place you want to be at. For instance, if you receive an interview invite, would you go interview at that school even though you have an acceptance from a more favorable school. If you do attend, are you still going to give that school a fair chance in your final decision making? Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone applying to med school because the entire process is way too low yield. However, in your case with awesome scores and ECs, I would only focus on schools you want to be at. This way, you can also save some money.
I'd love to do that, but I've heard stories about applicants with high stats + cookie cutter EC's (like myself) getting rejected from top schools for not being unique enough, in addition to being yield protected from lower tier schools. I probably won't apply to too many super low tier schools, but I definitely wouldn't mind having a broad list and interviewing at mid tier schools (i.e. VCU, Wake Forest, etc).

I'd love to do that, but I've heard stories about applicants with high stats + cookie cutter EC's (like myself) getting rejected from top schools for not being unique enough, in addition to being yield protected from lower tier schools. I probably won't apply to too many super low tier schools, but I definitely wouldn't mind having a broad list and interviewing at mid tier schools (i.e. VCU, Wake Forest, etc).
I'd say that OP's ECs are a little better than "cookie cutter", wouldn't you? LizzyM is an adcom at a top school, and she says that around 20 percent of accepted applicants have publications. As any author, and he's got a first-author pub.

Are you missing a 0 in your research hours? I'm finding it hard to imagine getting 2 pubs (and one first-author, no less) with only 100 hours abroad?

Last edited:
With an app like yours and the doors the schools you can get into will open, you shouldn't be worried about the cost of tuition.

There's nothing wrong with aiming high, and schools do offer scholarships etc.

I suggest:
Wash U
U Chicago
NYU
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
BU
U VA
U MI
U AZ
U VM
U IA
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD,
UCI,
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra

Reactions: 1 user
The hours I posted were only the rough amount of hours I spent abroad, which were 2 separate trips in 2014 and 2016. I worked on the papers mainly when I returned to the U.S. and I communicated with the other authors/doctors through email over the course of 2-4 years. Those papers definitely weren't published immediately after the trips.

The first author paper (which just got published this month) was a project that I thought of independently and I wrote most of the paper, but I had help with the data analysis considering I'm not trained in clinical research. I don't think the journals that published either paper are very prestigious since they're fairly young, but they're still projects that I'm proud to have worked on.

Ok, that makes more sense! On your AMCAS app, I would include all hours you spent on the paper (you can use the repeated activity function to split your time abroad vs. all other time working on the papers) to avoid confusion :)

UCSF good
UCLA good
UCSD good
UC Irvine good
Stanford good
JHU good
Harvard good
Columbia good
Yale good
NYU good
Northwestern good
UChicago good
UPenn good
UVA good
VCU delete
Cornell good
Wake Forest delete
Pittsburgh good
Vanderbilt good
Rochester good
Penn state delete
Case Western good
Albert Einsteingood
Emory good
University of Cincinnati delete

I would add USC. It's going to be around the same price as your NYC schools and you have a very good chance of getting an interview there. They also have merit scholarships that would offset the cost. If you get in, it probably won't be your only acceptance, but you have a better shot at getting in there than VCU/Wake forest/Penn State/etc and in the end, if you only have one acceptance, you're going to take it no matter what right (I doubt that's going to be the case for you, but just to illustrate a point).

Only schools I can recommend adding are Michigan, Mt. Sinai, Duke, and WashU. That brings your total to 25, and with your app, that should be plenty.

Reactions: 1 user
UCSF good
UCLA good
UCSD good
UC Irvine good
Stanford good
JHU good
Harvard good
Columbia good
Yale good
NYU good
Northwestern good