WAMC/School List Help: 518 MCAT, cGPA 4.00, sGPA 3.98, CA ORM, weak EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

saverstriker

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a 23 y/o student on a gap year, applying to allopathic schools for the 2026-2027 cycle. I believe my extracurriculars are on the weaker side, especially my clinical experiences and shadowing hours. Any feedback or advice on my school list is welcome, and I would appreciate honest, critical feedback more. Thank you!


Demographic = Permanent resident; Asian (ORM), moved to America about 10 years ago.

State Ties = CA Resident; Ties to NY (lived for 5 years & went to high school in the Bronx)

cGPA = 3.98; sGPA = 4.00

MCAT = 518 (132/124/132/130)


Research

  • I did research at a mitochondrial biology research lab, utilizing CRISPR, PCR, and immunofluorescence. I completed a year-long honors thesis project and presented in a college-wide symposium (400 hours). During my senior year, I was employed as a part-time research assistant assisting the PhD candidate’s dissertation project (800 hours).
  • No publications (although a planned publication as a 2nd author later this year)
  • No conference experience

Paid clinical work

  • I worked as a Medical Assistant under an immunologist for about 6 months during my Junior year. I was able to have many great patient experiences, which I decided to include in my personal statement. (200 hours). I was also able to secure a Letter of Recommendation from the doctor.

  • I work as an Ophthalmic Technician under an ophthalmologist. It is a fast-paced, high-volume clinic setting where I check in patients and perform diagnostic tests (Currently at 160 hours, projected at 1100 hours by matriculation)

Volunteering

  • Food Pantry volunteer at local church (60 hours)

  • I volunteer monthly at a free dog & cat clinic where I immunize puppies and provide basic medical care for the pets of low-income owners. I come across many marginalized or homeless populations who cannot afford vet care (Currently 200 hours over 4 years, anticipated 70 hours by matriculation)

Shadowing

  • Shadowing with different doctors across immunology, ophthalmology, and oculofacial plastic surgery (Currently at 24 hrs).

Other Activities

  • Worked part-time at a museum as a live animal caretaker and animal showcase facilitator for 1.5 years. Target audience was primarily K-12 children.

  • Worked part-time as an exam proctor/grader for disadvantaged students at my college for a year.

  • Designed & facilitated a student-led course on medical terminology at my college for one semester.

  • Mentored a high school senior through the college admissions process for a year.

  • I do birdwatching & photography as hobbies!
1781102706859.png
 
I personally would prefer you boost your food pantry work. I like animal shelters and working with their homeless companions, but some adcoms may prefer more human-based opportunities in your portfolio.

I need to confirm your timeline. You moved to NYC and graduated high school there, then you moved to California for university or for a job after university? Do you have access to your university's prehealth advisors/office?
 
That is a very valid point. I do see many of my work are so animal-foucsed and even the ones that interact with communities in my neighborhood was more so indirect through my work with animals. I tried to highlight my interest in human med by building up from the pet vaccine clinic work in my personal statement, but I believe it will still not going to be the most convincing. Do you think highlighting food pantry or tutoring experiences, etc on my secondary essays would help turn the boat a little more?

And yes, I moved to NYC following my parents when I was 12, graduated high school in NYC, and moved to california about 4-5 years go to attend University, and now planning to stay in California until matriculation. Yes, there are two prehealth advisors in my college and they have open sign-up slots for appointments
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is a very valid point. I do see many of my work are so animal-foucsed and even the ones that interact with communities in my neighborhood was more so indirect through my work with animals. I tried to highlight my interest in human med by building up from the pet vaccine clinic work in my personal statement, but I believe it will still not going to be the most convincing. Do you think highlighting food pantry or tutoring experiences, etc on my secondary essays would help turn the boat a little more?

Mind that highlighting experiences also brings a spotlight to hours you have documented. I don't know if it helps or hurts pointing out the balance of your hours (in other words, I'm not saying you couldn't but I cannot predict how it is received by admissions folks).
 
Mind that highlighting experiences also brings a spotlight to hours you have documented. I don't know if it helps or hurts pointing out the balance of your hours (in other words, I'm not saying you couldn't but I cannot predict how it is received by admissions folks).
I see hmm, I’ll think about it. Thanks for the comments!
 
You only have 60 hours of non clinical volunteering in activities that medical schools are looking for and some schools screen at 150 hours. Top tier schools expect more.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
Albany
Rochester
New York Medical College
Eisntein
Hofstra
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Methodist
USF Morsani
Miami
Belmont
Alice Walton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Iowa
Colorado
Arizona (Phoenix)
Roseman
California University
California Northstate
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
 
You only have 60 hours of non clinical volunteering in activities that medical schools are looking for and some schools screen at 150 hours. Top tier schools expect more.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
Albany
Rochester
New York Medical College
Eisntein
Hofstra
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Methodist
USF Morsani
Miami
Belmont
Alice Walton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Iowa
Colorado
Arizona (Phoenix)
Roseman
California University
California Northstate
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Thank you! That is so nice of you to list out all the recommended schools for me, it helps a lot! I want to punch my past self not to be lazy and engage in more activities lol.

I have been hearing from reddits that schools like Temple and George Washington typically look for much more volunteering hours. Do you think I would have a chance on those schools? Also, I was wondering if you think I would have a shot on Alice Warton, which is free tuition but probably more competitive because of it? Thank you!
 
Your MCAT and GPA are certainly competitive for George Washington and Temple. Alice Walton is a new school and receives fewer applications compared to established schools so you could receive an interview there.
 
Your MCAT and GPA are certainly competitive for George Washington and Temple. Alice Walton is a new school and receives fewer applications compared to established schools so you could receive an interview there.
Ohh, I see. Thanks for the informations!