WAMC? School list help for a non-trad working in management consulting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capncook

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your guidance for school lists! I am a non-trad who has some unique work/leadership experience and a high MCAT. However, I'm not sure where to apply given my GPA is lower and I'm weak on research. Please note: MCAT is from September 2017 so it's invalid at most schools. I'm including a school list in this post - please tell me if I'm being too conservative or too ambitious and I'll adjust based on the schools where my score is valid. Thanks!

Resident: VA (Graduated in 2017)
Ethnicity: White
Major: Mathematics
Minor: N/A

MCAT: 520 (129/130/130/131)
GPA: 3.64 cGPA w/ downward trend (and part-time senior year), 3.62 sGPA

Employment: Full-time healthcare management consulting work at a major firm (e.g. McKinsey/Bain/BCG) since fall 2017; projects include:
  • COVID-19 government response support
  • Clinical operations optimization program at a hospital system
  • Budget optimization for a foreign health department
  • Health tech start-up partnerships with global NGOs
  • Merger management for two pharma companies
(I'm keeping the descriptions here broad for confidentiality but each of these were several months long projects and I'll dedicate a W&A entry to each of them. My roles generally involved a mix of conducting advanced analytics, leading client meetings with senior stakeholders, leading teams of analysts, building powerpoint presentations, etc.)

Non-clinical: Thousands of hours volunteering in firefighting; 100 hours with refugee volunteering; undergraduate student newspaper (executive editor)

Clinical: Thousands of hours volunteering in EMS

Research: 300 hours in summer 2015; no publications/posters/meaningful results; edited undergraduate research journal

Shadowing: 100 hours nephrology, cardiology, internal medicine

Rec Letters: 5 letters: 3 professors (two strong and one meh) and 2 mentors at my current job (glowing)

1590993658499.png

Members don't see this ad.

Einstein, Boston U, Brown and Pittsburgh are not reaches with your MCAT of 520. You should receive several interviews from your list.

Thanks! Would you recommend adding more T20s?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should add Virginia Commonwealth and Virginia Tech since they have an instate preference. Remove state public schools such as Rutgers, Rowan, Buffalo. UMass and UConn unless you have some strong connection to those schools or the state. You could add these schools:
Mount Sinai
Case Western
Washington University

Thanks Faha. My MCAT's expired at VCU unfortunately so I can't add that one. It's not expired at Virginia Tech but I've heard they care a lot about research, and I'm not interested in research