WAMC + school list help: high GPA ok MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

updog247

Reaction score
First time applicant, junior, M, ORM(I think, half Filipino half white)

T15 undergrad

GPA: 3.95

sGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 510 (130/124/129/127)

Major: Cell bio

State:CA

Experiencs:

Research:
Biology lab: 620 (900 projected w/ honors thesis) (MME)
Hospital lab:470 (120 projected)
Award as summer researcher

Shadowing/clinical exposure:
50hours two specialties (may do more over summer not sure) (MME)
Attended doctor speaker series during covid:15

Service (clinical)
ER volunteering + ems certification training: 220 (80 projected)
International service trip: 50

Job paid (clinical)
Patient transport: 80

Service(non-clinical)
Non profit org:120 (100 projected) (MME)
Volunteer tutor: 75 (75 projected)

Leadership
Non profit org board: 125

Other
Eagle Scout(awarded freshman year cause of COVID):550

Hobbies (don’t know if the hours matter but)
Piano since I was very young:2900
Sport as hobby(non-competitive): 300

Also, I recently got a paid job tutoring ACT/SAT/AP but not sure if I should include since I’ll only have like 10-15 hours by the time I submit but I do plan to keep this job for the next year until graduation at least

LORs: (committee letter+2 science profs+1 non science prof+2 research(1 from each lab))
-should be pretty strong letters

School List:
California University of Science and Medicine
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Kaiser
USC
Loma Linda
Oregon
Penn State
Rush
Rutgers
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Saint Louis University
Thomas Jefferson University
Stanford (cause why not)
Tufts
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCR
UCSD
UCSF
Colorado
U of Iowa
U of Louisville
U of Maryland
U of Minnesota
UPitt
U of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
NYMC
Einstein
MCW
Temple

Any feedback on my school list or me as an applicant would be helpful

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Vanderbilt and Stanford will both be a high reach and a waste of space to put on your school list so I would remove that since a 510 MCAT does not meet their lower quartiles, regardless of your GPA.

Do you have primary care shadowing in those 50 hours? Also, is it possible to get 150 hours of non-projected clinical hours before you apply? It's a potential screen-out. Projected hours don't mean much and you will be screened out due to your relative lack of actually finished non-clinical experiences and hours, since most of your hours are projected. The relative ideal cutoffs are 150 clinical hours, 150 non-clinical hours (especially in community service), and 50 hours of primary care shadowing.

I believe Vanderbilt and Stanford will both be a high reach and a waste of space to put on your school list so I would remove that since a 510 MCAT does not meet their lower quartiles, regardless of your GPA.

Do you have primary care shadowing in those 50 hours? Also, is it possible to get 150 hours of non-projected clinical hours before you apply? It's a potential screen-out. Projected hours don't mean much and you will be screened out due to your relative lack of actually finished non-clinical experiences and hours, since most of your hours are projected. The relative ideal cutoffs are 150 clinical hours, 150 non-clinical hours (especially in community service), and 50 hours of primary care shadowing.
My shadowing was just done at the university hospital. Also do I not already have 150 clinical hours with service and paid?

Also I kinda just want to apply to stanford even though it is a very far reach as the only way I will have an absolute 0% chance of getting in is if I don't apply

Also what did you think about all the other schools on my list given my profile

Members don't see this ad :)
You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with a MCAT of 510 and no connection to the state. You also have several other schools that are unrealistic with your MCAT. Georgetown, St. Louis and Rush are looking for applicants with far more clinical and non clinical hours than you have. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
Kaiser
Belmont (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 user
My shadowing was just done at the university hospital. Also do I not already have 150 clinical hours with service and paid?

Also I kinda just want to apply to stanford even though it is a very far reach as the only way I will have an absolute 0% chance of getting in is if I don't apply

Also what did you think about all the other schools on my list given my profile
With paid, yes, my mistake, I calculated that wrong, but community service and non-clinical experience is definitely a must to get-up before you apply otherwise you risk being screened out.

I understand you do just want to apply for the sake of applying but with the 20 schools covered maximum by the FAP (if you are in it) or you having to pay out of pocket for the primary and secondary applications, I do not think it's worth it at all with your stats and relative lack of non-clinical experiences unfortunately; you will just most likely be screened out through the system without having admissions even look at it thoroughly. You will just be donating that money to them and getting a pre-II rejection in November/December so take that as you will.

With paid, yes, my mistake, I calculated that wrong, but community service and non-clinical experience is definitely a must to get-up before you apply otherwise you risk being screened out.

I understand you do just want to apply for the sake of applying but with the 20 schools covered maximum by the FAP (if you are in it) or you having to pay out of pocket for the primary and secondary applications, I do not think it's worth it at all with your stats and relative lack of non-clinical experiences unfortunately; you will just most likely be screened out through the system without having admissions even look at it thoroughly. You will just be donating that money to them and getting a pre-II rejection in November/December so take that as you will.
I am continuing to do hospital volunteering but will do a non clinical week volunteer but wont be till after I apply. I understand what your saying and is the comment about screening out just Stanford? Did you feel like the rest of my list was at least feasible based on my profile?

I am continuing to do hospital volunteering but will do a non clinical week volunteer but wont be till after I apply. I understand what your saying and is the comment about screening out just Stanford? Did you feel like the rest of my list was at least feasible based on my profile?
Go with Faha's list above.

They removed schools that would normally screen you out, such as Rush that expect hundreds or thousands of hours and get applicants like that consistently, and gave you a solid list of amazing schools that you should receive several II's from.