WAMC/School List Help: Non-trad veteran, 512 MCAT, 3.77cGPA/3.86sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike Rowave

Reaction score
cGPA: 3.77; sGPA: 3.86
MCAT: 512 (129/126/127/130)
State of residence: Utah
White Male, 30
Small State School
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  • Paid clinical - 900 hours as a full-time scribe, will be ~1800 by matriculation; 250 hours as ICU technician
  • Unpaid Clinical - 275 hours volunteering at a free clinic for the underserved for three years. 32 hours with an organization that gives glasses and eye exams to underserved
Research experience and productivity
  • Three projects on antibiotic resistance and finding new antibiotics totaling 400 hours. One poster presentation for the new antibiotic research
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  • Family practice - 75 hours
  • Ophthalmology - 16 hours
  • ENT - 50 hours
Non-clinical volunteering
  • 1200 hours as a designated driver for an organization that gives free rides to military members who need a safe ride
  • 40 hours Meals on Wheels
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • 10 years in the military with 25k hours of leadership, training, quality assurance, and process improvement experience
  • TA for physiology course
Relevant honors or awards
  • 2x military awards for leadership

Since I'm a bit older, I wanted to have a large net of schools. Here is my current list, and I would like to know which ones are too ambitous or if there are any others that I should add:
Albany
TCU
Boston University
Case Western
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Hofstra
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
George Washington
Hackensack
Harvard - Yolo school
Kaiser
Temple
New York Medical College
Nova MD
Penn State
Robert Larner University of Vermont
Saint Louis University
Sidney Kimmel
University of Utah
Tufts
University of Arizona Phoenix
UCSF
University of Kansas
UMass
Miami
University of Missouri Columbia - raised in Missouri and would like to return
UMKC - same as above
University of Washington - Lived in Montana for five years (does that mean I would be considered for the Montana cohort?)
University of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Thanks for taking a look!

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Harvard. Remove U Washington since they admit less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. Kansas also admits few non residents. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What constrains you geographically? I would refine your list based on any personal/family considerations.
No geographic restraints :) I've moved every five years or so for the last 15 years, and my wife and I are up for it again! We'd prefer the Midwest to be closer to family in Missouri, but we don't have a very strong regional preference.

Remove Harvard. Remove U Washington since they admit less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. Kansas also admits few non residents. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.
Thank you for your input! I can't take Harvard off... in the words of Jim Carey, "So you're telling me there's a chance?" I'm fine wasting $100 and a couple of hours for the 0.0005% chance that my story is interesting and they want to pull me in for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your input! I can't take Harvard off... in the words of Jim Carey, "So you're telling me there's a chance?" I'm fine wasting $100 and a couple of hours for the 0.0005% chance that my story is interesting and they want to pull me in for an interview.
hell yeah man, that's the spirit. I'll prob do similarly lol