WAMC? NC Veteran, Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, thank you for those who take the time to reply/provide feedback.
  1. 3.8cGPA/3.7sGPA
  2. 6/14/2025 - 501 (125/123/126/127), 4/11/2026 - 503 (127/122/126/128)
  3. NC resident
  4. ORM (white)
  5. Military college
  6. 300 hours at local hospice house setting, 500 hours in Army providing routine care for indigenous forces.
  7. 300 hours on intravenous techniques to acquire whole blood in combat situations (submitted to DoD, under review)
  8. 75 hours shadowing pediatrics, FM
  9. 300 hours at local food bank, 150 hours coaching youth sports in low-income area
  10. 10 yrs Army - multiple deployments and leadership positions in Special Operations, DIII football - 500 hours, Powerlifting - 2000 hours (held state record), 200 hours social justice/advocacy - helped indigenous forces to gain US citizenship
  11. Summa Cum Laude, multiple Dean's List, Bronze Star Medal, Combat Infantryman Badge, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal
  12. EO1, grew up on food stamps with parents battling debt/addiction my whole life, mother only has HS education and adopted father dropped out in middle school. Come from medically underserved and rural area in New England, with the goal of landing close to home or another area that is similar to help those communities. Older non-trad (will be 35 this summer) with 3 kids (ages 4-11) and a wife, so I am trying to stay either IS and commute if possible OR head back closer to home in New England. I know my MCAT is far from up to snuff, did the best I could while being stay-at-home father to my youngest. I will consider both MD and DO since my MCAT dictates as much.
 
Salute to you and thank you for all you have done for our nation.

IMO: UNC, ECU, Methodist, and Campbell (DO) should make a play for you at least. Go for Vermont and UNECOM (DO) if you want to go back to New England. Yes, the MCAT might make it a challenge for MD programs, but if you are passionate for serving medically underserved/rural communities having grown up in one, you should ask at the upcoming AAMC and AACOM Virtual Fairs in June.
 
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UNC
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Methodist
East Virginia
East Tennessee
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Brigham Young (when it opens)
Ponce (St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
For DO schools I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UNECOM
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Salute to you and thank you for all you have done for our nation.

IMO: UNC, ECU, Methodist, and Campbell (DO) should make a play for you at least. Go for Vermont and UNECOM (DO) if you want to go back to New England. Yes, the MCAT might make it a challenge for MD programs, but if you are passionate for serving medically underserved/rural communities having grown up in one, you should ask at the upcoming AAMC and AACOM Virtual Fairs in June.
Thank you Mr.Smile12, I hope you are right. I feel very strongly about heading back to an area similar to how I grew up, as I know the need is constant and not met to the standard which it should be.
 
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UNC
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Methodist
East Virginia
East Tennessee
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Brigham Young (when it opens)
Ponce (St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
For DO schools I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UNECOM
Thank you Faha! I know it may be a long shot but would adding a place like Tufts given they have a rural health track in Maine be something to consider, or is that a lost cause?