WAMC? School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSushi97

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any help/advice that I can get :)
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: uGPA: 3.47, sGPA: 3.24 (AMCAS), 3.28 (AACOMAS), one year of PA school: 3.562
    Upward trend for both undergrad cGPA (3.164 → 3.652) and sGPA (2.838 → 3.54)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: Not taken yet, planned for May.
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): New York
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: First gen Latino male
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 3,000+ hours as medical assistant in GI clinic
  6. Undergraduate institution or category: Small liberal arts college in NYC
  7. Research experience and productivity: Some psychology research as part of capstone thesis project, not associated with research lab or anything (~70 hours)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 140 hours in wound care clinic, ~ 200 hours shadowing PAs in Spanish speaking primary care, also did shadowing at GI clinic as part of job, hard to tell how much but I'd say > 200 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~ 10 hours over course of year in PA school (working with underserved HS children, marathon volunteer, homeless shelter), will be volunteering at a soup kitchen/homeless shelter consistently (planning to have > 150 by time I submit primaries)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Treasurer of pre-dental society in undergrad, member of various pre-health clubs/societies, student ambassador during year in PA school, held "head MA" position without the official title and trained new hire MAs at GI clinic
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean’s list twice during undergrad, invited to join Tri-Beta Biological Honors Society during senior year of undergrad
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I was pre-med going into college, but my advisor was very negative with me from beginning and unhelpful. She was also my first semester bio professor and I got a C+ in her class, but after that my science grades were all in the A/B range. I didn’t really have much guidance in the process and eventually she got to me and convinced me to do PA. Ended up on PA track post-grad and completed a year of PA school. Realized quickly it’s not how I want to practice medicine for various reasons, but tried to stick it out. Now decided to leave this and pursue an MD/DO.
Planning on applying to most NY MD/DO programs, as well as several programs in NJ, CT

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you drop out of your PA program, especially with a 3.5+ program GPA?
Honestly, I never wanted to be a PA, it was always my goal to be a physician. A lot led to me getting to the point of being in PA school (some explained in original post), but it never really felt right, and I felt like I was forcing it. During the program, I was never fully in it mentally, so my grades honestly suffered because of it (they're not bad, but absolutely could be better). I knew about the limitations of the PA career going into it, but learning more in depth about limitations of practice and various other things turned me off way more as time went on. It's hard to justify giving up so much in terms of what I want to do and would be able to do as a physician

Honestly, I never wanted to be a PA, it was always my goal to be a physician. A lot led to me getting to the point of being in PA school (some explained in original post), but it never really felt right, and I felt like I was forcing it. I was never fully in it mentally, so my grades honestly suffered because of it (they're not bad, but absolutely could be better). I knew about the limitations of the PA career going into it, but learning more in depth about limitations of practice and various other things turned me off way more as time went on. It's hard to justify giving up so much in terms of what I want to do and would be able to do as a physician

So the awkward question potentially: was the PA program run at a medical school?

Have you connected with anyone with LMSA at the medical schools you want to attend?

Last edited:
So the awkward question potentially: was the PA program run at a medical school?
No it isn't. The university does have a medical school, but the PA program is not part of it. The PA program is part of the school of health sciences

Reactions: 1 user
Have you connected with anyone with LMSA at the medical schools you want to attend?
No, I haven't done that. I have looked into it though and will reach out to them to see if I can connect and get any info/advice from them as well. Thank you for the idea!