WAMC/School List/Nontrad/3.89/519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOdyssey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontraditional student - 4 gap years including 1 year of Americorp and 2 years of life sciences research

1. GPA

3.89 cGPA; 3.85 sGPA

2. MCAT

519 (every section except CARS was 130 or higher)

3. State of residence

East coast (US)

4. Race/ethnicity

ORM

5. Undergrad

Private non-Ivy T-20 undergrad

6. Clinical volunteering

~ 750 hours split between 3 hospitals (150 hrs at urban rehab hospital where I served as a greeter; 500 hours at urban public hospital where I fed patients and ferried post-operative patients to a waiting area for families; 100 hours in an urban hospital ER)

7. Research

10 week funded summer internship (400 hrs) - translational research; poster presentation

2 years in college culminating in a senior thesis and 4th author publication in a midtier peer reviewed journal (1500 hrs)

2 years post bacc in a nationally known lab - poster presentation + a talk + one first author manuscript in the works (4000 hrs)

8. Shadowing

80 hrs split among various specialties including about 20 hours of primary care

9. Non-clinical volunteering

Founder of student run club - 100 hrs

Volunteering with two underserved communities in college and after graduation - 500 hours

Americorp - 1 year full time - founded and managed a department that mentored and placed income qualified job applicants (2000 hrs)

10. Other extracurriculars

TA/lecturer in a science class as undergrad; undergrad writing tutor - 150 hrs

Science/reading tutor for middle school displaced kids - 100 hrs

11. Honors/awards

Magna Cum
several semesters of Dean's List

12. Other factors

My state of residence only has 1 state school. I have strong family ties and grew up in Texas.

I'd like to pursue a career in academic medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
Harvard
Yale
Brown
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
U Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Washington University (in St. Louis)
St. Louis
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati

@Faha Will Hopkins, Georgetown, GW and UPenn weigh my state of residency in my favor? Hopkins and UPenn seem to be out of my league in terms of stats (as do Yale, Vanderbilt, Wash U, Columbia, Northwestern).

@Moko @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12

@Faha Will Hopkins, Georgetown, GW and UPenn weigh my state of residency in my favor? Hopkins and UPenn seem to be out of my league in terms of stats (as do Yale, Vanderbilt, Wash U, Columbia, Northwestern).

@Moko @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12
Your stats are fine for all those schools. The schools you mentioned do not have any state preference.

Reactions: 1 user