WAMC/School List ORM, low ugpa with reinvention / 507 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeliciouslyEric

Reaction score
  1. 2.41 sgpa / 2.69 ugpa in 2018
    1. 4.0 grad gpa - special masters program; Ms in Medical Physiology in 2021
  2. 500 MCAT -> 507 MCAT (127/126/127/127)
  3. California resident
  4. Asian ORM
  5. Undergrad at University of California - Davis; Master's from Case Western Reserve Uni.
  6. Clinical experience : 40 hours in orthotics department; 36 hours EMT; currently in two hospice positions and interning at the trauma department at local hospital.
  7. 7000+ hours research (5 years); 1 pub, 1 poster presentation that got 1st place.
  8. 60+ hours virtual shadowing (in-person got pretty hard with covid); 16 hours with two plastic surgeons
  9. ~200 hours volunteering at local church supporting the underserved community (Still actively volunteering here); 120 hours through fraternity from 2015-2018
I have an allopathic school list comprised of:
Albany, Central Michigan, Indiana Uni, Loma Linda, Wisconsin medical college, Oakland Uni - William Beaumont; Penn state, Rush, SUNY Upstate, University of Toledo, UC Riverside, UC Davis, University of Arizona-Tucson, University of Illinois, University of Kentucky (parents work here, does that count as connections or do they need to have graduated from here? I went to highschool in KY), University of Louisville, University of Wisconsin, Washington State Uni - Elson S Floyd, West Virginia Uni, Wright State Uni.

Osteopathic list is:
CCOM, both Westerns, KCU COM, KCOM, CUSOM, LECOM, Touros, DMU, VCOM, NYITCOM, AZCOM, TUNCOM, PCOM, PacNW COM, MUCOM

I would appreciate any help on tailoring the school lists if possible! Definitely think I'm not too competitive for allopathic and should focus more on DO schools though, so please give me any and all criticisms.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The only MD schools I could recommend applying to are UC Davis and possibly the Kentucky schools, but as a reinventor, you would need a higher MCAT score than you currently have. Additionally, your app seems more suited for a PhD candidate. Even for DO schools, you would need to wait till you can get 200+ hours of clinical experience, and it might be better to wait till next cycle in order to have a more convincing answer to why medicine for your personal statement and interviews.

Your DO list is good. Add:
KYCOM
WCU
ACOM
NYIT AR
All VCOM campuses (except for Monroe)
UIWSOM
WVSOM

CCOM and AZCOM have very high tuition as an FYI.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I would probably wait until you get more clinical hours before applying. I would also say that community service hours are extremely important to Rush UMC and the number you have and anticipate getting aren't enough for them (1000+ hours minimum?).

In what capacity do your parents work at UK? The safeguards for children of employees depend on the school, but some may put you in a similar bin to children of alumni depending on where they work.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I would probably wait until you get more clinical hours before applying. I would also say that community service hours are extremely important to Rush UMC and the number you have and anticipate getting aren't enough for them (1000+ hours minimum?).

In what capacity do your parents work at UK? The safeguards for children of employees depend on the school, but some may put you in a similar bin to children of alumni depending on where they work.
I will have around 150 hours of clinical hours by the end of August, so hopefully that will be enough time to get my foot through the door for DO. For UK, my dad works as a professor that teaches undergrad, grad and medical students and my mother is the chief medical technologist at the UK hospital.