WAMC: South Carolina resident, 3.62/513

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skybagel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for any helpful feedback about either adding certain schools or dropping certain schools. Most of this list was made from MSAR data, choosedo, and looking at secondaries.

1. cGPA is 3.62 and sGPA is 3.38.
  2. 3 MCAT scores, 2 of which have expired for most if not all schools.
    502 (126/124/126/126) June 2018
    506 (125/128/126/127) May 2019
    513 (127/126/130/130) March 2022
  3. South Carolina Resident
  4. White
  5. Clemson University
  6. At least 3500 hours as an Outpatient Orthopedic Scribe in a rural community. 150-200 volunteering at Cardiac Rehab Center.
  7. 300 hours of research. Nothing significant to report about it.
  8. 75 hours of shadowing, mostly Family Medicine (Also wanted to ask for a LoR from him but there may be an issue regarding that...) but also Orthopedics and Anesthesiology
  9. Volunteered with special needs children in the local baseball program (which then stopped due to Covid) Only 20 hours. Not sure if I should use this or not.
    Chemistry Lab assistant for 70 hours (Note: This is not research)
  10. I worked 400 hours at a very popular fast food place full-time for one summer inbetween inbetween Freshman and Sophomore year of college.
    I took classes October 2021-December 2021 to become certified in Phlebotomy in February and have been job searching for 2 months with no success. I assume the certification is not something to mention on the app unless I can actually utilize it before submitting.
  11. Received a certificate from the University due to completing 3 particular public health courses.
  12. Microbiology degree with biomedicine emphasis + Psych Minor.
    Graduated 3 years ago.
    Only potential ties I have OOS are Missouri. (Born there, but moved at age of 2. Grandma/majority of extended family still live there).
    I'm a gay individual, so I am not looking to go anywhere that's *heavily* focused on religion. I dropped Creighton from my school list after looking at their secondary app from the latest cycle, for example.
    Not applying to any AAMC-Preview schools (Saint Louis, Universidad Central del Caribe, UC Davis, UCLA, and Hawaii)

This is my preliminary school list for allopathic schools.

1. Drexel University College of Medicine
2. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
3. Medical College of Wisconsin
4. Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
5. New York Medical College
6. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
7. Robert Larner, M. D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
8. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
9. Tulane University School of Medicine
10. University of Cincinatti College of Medicine
11. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
12. University of Nebraska College of Medicine
13. University of South Carolina School of Medicine Columbia
14. University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville
15. Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
16. Wayne State University School of Medicine
17. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

This is my preliminary school list for osteopathic schools.

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
All 4 VCOM campuses (With preference to Spartanburg, SC)

I had a lot harder time trying to make a school list for osteopathic schools and what to consider. Many of the schools are heavy on OOS students, and I'm scared of being screened due to my MCAT score but I'm scared of not getting into Allopathic due to my low sGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Nebraska since they admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add these MD schools:
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
For DO schools I suggest these:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
AZCOM
TUNCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
PCOM
ACOM
LECOM

You can mention your phlebotomy certification.

The 20 hours for baseball/special needs children is not worth a Work/Activities slot, but can be mentioned in the "how COVID disrupted my plans" essay. Anything else on the community service front, especially any in-person interactions that do not directly deal with clinical issues?