WAMC T20 ecs/gap year thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomPlatLeague

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey SDN, I was wondering how competitive I would be for T20 schools and if 1 or 2 gap years would be good enough to apply.
Long story short I was kind lost on what I wanted to do the first 2 years of undergrad and COVID made it pretty hard to explore. I only really recently became a premed. I was wondering for any guidance on how to proceed with my ECs

  • cGPA: 3.94 and sGPA : 3.93 (upward trend in the sense that I had relatively rough first 2 semesters?)
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown : 525 (132/130/132/131)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Virginia
  • Ethnicity and/or race: ORM Indian Male
  • Undergraduate institution or category: State Public School (T5 public)
  • Heres how many hours I would have at the end of my 4th year (before application) :
  • 900 hrs of Research in two neuroscience Labs working on the mechanisms and pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease and Glio Blastomas. (1 mid author publication, 2 presentations)
  • 720hr clinical experience: 500 EMT 220 ED Scribe
  • 300hr tutoring/TA
  • 250hrs Senior living home volunteer (non-clinical)
  • 60hrs of shadowing (Neuro,IM,FM)
  • Other extracurricular activities: Part of a Dance Crew for 3 years. Decent time commitment and I can talk about it pretty well. Member Alzheimer's Awareness Club. Member of League of Legends Club esports (not significant in terms of application but one of my favorite hobbies)

  • Looking at the rest of SDN the ECs don't seem to be anything special. Would taking another year to enhance my application be worth it or should I apply right after? I would most likely continue being an EMT and participate in research. Along with this, I plan to add so more volunteer hours with the underserved. Would my low hours for a 2 gap year applicant matter as long as I could write about how the experiences shaped my decision to pursue medicine well? Would the extra gap year weaken my application in any way for T20 schools?
Preliminary School List:
UVA (would be very happy here)
VCU
V-Tech
JHU (dream school)
Columbia (2nd top choice)
UMD
UPenn
Penn State
Pitt
Wake Forest
Duke
Ohio State
Penn State
Boston
Harvard
Cornell
USF
NYU
Yale
U Wisconsin
Hofstra
Einstein
 
Welcome to the forums.

My suggestion is to find a significant non-clinical community service activity away from campus that does not involve tutoring STEM students but gets you face-to-face with social challenges most people face. Humble yourself in doing food pantry/distribution, homeless/women's/LGBTQ shelters, job training/assistance for those returning from incarceration, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome to the forums.

My suggestion is to find a significant non-clinical community service activity away from campus that does not involve tutoring STEM students but gets you face-to-face with social challenges most people face. Humble yourself in doing food pantry/distribution, homeless/women's/LGBTQ shelters, job training/assistance for those returning from incarceration, etc.
Thank you for your advice! I completely agree that I need to get out of my comfort zone and work more with the underserved during my gap year.
 
Welcome! I note that there doesn’t appear to be any leadership listed. If there’s some way for you to take a more active role in your organizations, that might help for T20s.
Thanks so much for the advice! This is true. The only leadership in my application would be from TA/Course Liason experience and dance crew lead choreographer work. I will definitely look to take up more leadership roles in the activities I am doing.
 
@Goro, @Faha any advice on how to form my school list (should I remove any or am I missing any ones that may be a good fit) and should I take another gap year to strengthen anything? I know you guys are quite active and very helpful in forming school lists.
 
Preliminary School List:
UVA (would be very happy here)
VCU
V-Tech
JHU (dream school)
Columbia (2nd top choice)
UMD
UPenn
Pitt
Duke
Ohio State
Boston
Harvard
Cornell
USF
NYU
Yale
U Wisconsin
Hofstra
Einstein
You had Penn State listed 2x. I removed...you can so better.

ADD
Emory
USF.MORSANI
ROCHESTER
DARTMOUTH
MIAMI
SINAI
U CINCY
U VM
U IA
WASH U
BROWN
VANDY
BAYLOR
U CHICAGO
NORTHWESTERN
 
Status
Not open for further replies.