WAMC Texas Reapplicant 3.77 cGPA/3.78 sGPA 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muad_Dib

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.77 sGPA:3.78
  2. MCAT: 510 (127/126/129/128)
  3. Texas resident.
  4. White.
  5. Clinical experience: 80 hrs volunteering in the ER, stopped by Covid. 600 hrs scribing for orthopedic surgeons.
  6. Research experience: 500 hrs Bacteriophage research & poster presentation at a conference.
  7. Shadowing: Unfortunately none.
  8. Non-clinical volunteering 100 Hrs doing work on Zooniverse, not sure if this is good enough to call volunteering but it's work that I've done for free and enjoyed doing so.
  9. EC's: Guitarist, Chess
Naturally, all the Texas schools are going to be on the list for the next cycle, but I am unfamiliar with the state of things for y'all up north. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You really really really need more volunteering (I recommend 200+ of nonclinical and 200+ clinical) and some diverse shadowing (primary care included).

Reactions: 1 user
You really really really need more volunteering (I recommend 200+ of nonclinical and 200+ clinical) and some diverse shadowing (primary care included).
What's your opinion on those virtual shadowing sessions? I imagine it'd be hard to find in person opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your opinion on those virtual shadowing sessions? I imagine it'd be hard to find in person opportunities.
Of course in-person is preferred, but virtual shadowing is better than nothing (tho I have no experience with it). Your scribing is okay, but it only gives you the perspective of one specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. cGPA: 3.77 sGPA:3.78
  2. MCAT: 510 (127/126/129/128)
  3. Texas resident.
  4. White.
  5. Clinical experience: 80 hrs volunteering in the ER, stopped by Covid. 600 hrs scribing for orthopedic surgeons.
  6. Research experience: 500 hrs Bacteriophage research & poster presentation at a conference.
  7. Shadowing: Unfortunately none.
  8. Non-clinical volunteering 100 Hrs doing work on Zooniverse, not sure if this is good enough to call volunteering but it's work that I've done for free and enjoyed doing so.
  9. EC's: Guitarist, Chess
Naturally, all the Texas schools are going to be on the list for the next cycle, but I am unfamiliar with the state of things for y'all up north. Thanks!
GPA and MCAT are okay. Main concern is your lack of shadowing hours (I believe some hospitals are opening up their observations programs...I do not think virtual shadowing counts as actual shadowing experience) and non-clinical volunteering.

You already have sufficient clinical experience. I do not believe it matters if it is volunteering or paid...they just want clinical experience. On the other hand, more non-clinical volunteering could be seen as beneficial. 100 is the bare minimum.

You need more shadowing and non-clinical volunteer hours. You will also need to apply to various DO schools because your MCAT and gpa are below average at almost all TX MD programs (other than TCU/UNT, U of H, and UTRGV).