WAMC to limited DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well here goes
I realize im not exactly an underdog, but im average at best. My problem is due to financial reasons im only able to apply to a handful of schools. 27 MCAT 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. 4 years of both Firefighter/EMT experience as well as ER tech experience. Year and a half of research, but no volunteering ( since i had to work my way through school). Shadowed multiple D.O.'s including two who work at CCOM. One is an Anesthesiologist who helps teach OMM lab and the other is the head of the OMM dept. The first one wrote me a letter. Also shadowed a DO Emergency medicine physician. Great letters from the ER doc, the anesthesiologist as well as an MD pediatric ER physician who goes to my church. I also feel i have a really strong personal statement and will be applying June 1st. Im an Illinois resident and I really want to stay in the midwest. The only far school I would consider looking at is NSU-COM because i have previously lived in and have some family in Florida. What are my chances for these limited schools?

CCOM
DMU
ATSU-KCOM
Marian
NSU-COM

Considering LECOM-Erie later in the cycle if i dont get any love from my first schools.
Might be able to add one more to that list. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Not bad stats and great experience. I think with a really strong personal statement, you should have a chance at all of these programs. I'd even add a reach school - would you consider North Texas?

Good luck to you!

Well here goes
I realize im not exactly an underdog, but im average at best. My problem is due to financial reasons im only able to apply to a handful of schools. 27 MCAT 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. 4 years of both Firefighter/EMT experience as well as ER tech experience. Year and a half of research, but no volunteering ( since i had to work my way through school). Shadowed multiple D.O.'s including two who work at CCOM. One is an Anesthesiologist who helps teach OMM lab and the other is the head of the OMM dept. The first one wrote me a letter. Also shadowed a DO Emergency medicine physician. Great letters from the ER doc, the anesthesiologist as well as an MD pediatric ER physician who goes to my church. I also feel i have a really strong personal statement and will be applying June 1st. Im an Illinois resident and I really want to stay in the midwest. The only far school I would consider looking at is NSU-COM because i have previously lived in and have some family in Florida. What are my chances for these limited schools?

CCOM
DMU
ATSU-KCOM
Marian
NSU-COM

Considering LECOM-Erie later in the cycle if i dont get any love from my first schools.
Might be able to add one more to that list. Thoughts?

LECOM's secondary isn't expensive and is easy to complete. Apply early and have it as a back up even if it isn't your first choice. Go on ramen noodle diet if you must, remove NSU if you must, but apply to LECOM. With your stats, I would definitely add it at the beginning of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM's secondary isn't expensive and is easy to complete. Apply early and have it as a back up even if it isn't your first choice. Go on ramen noodle diet if you must, remove NSU if you must, but apply to LECOM. With your stats, I would definitely add it at the beginning of the cycle.

I think I might add LECOM early. Im also thinking of taking out NSU and replacing it with MSUCOM. I know their OOS tuition is ridiculous, but any thoughts?

Last edited:
Not bad stats and great experience. I think with a really strong personal statement, you should have a chance at all of these programs. I'd even add a reach school - would you consider North Texas?

Good luck to you!

I took a look into it and while the tuition is very attractive, its a bit far. I want to stay at least a weekend drive away ( 5 hrs tops) because my fiance is in Chicago. I know we would be able to make it work anywhere long distance, but i really dont want to have to do it. Last resort kinda thing.

Thanks for your help!

I think I might add LECOM early. Im also thinking of taking out NSU and replacing it with MSUCOM. I know their OOS tuition is ridiculous, but any thoughts?
I would not do that, MSU OOS tution is expensive and I don't know how many OOS students they accept.

The only challenge will be DMU. The rest of schools should be fine.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

I would not do that, MSU OOS tution is expensive and I don't know how many OOS students they accept.

Tuition aside ( which i know is a big aside) how would i look for them? Would having no volunteering hours be a dealbreaker for MSU?

The only challenge will be DMU. The rest of schools should be fine.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Even CCOM? That is by far my number one, above all the rest. I thought i would have the most trouble there.

If money is of concern like you stated earlier, MSU is probably one of the last schools you should add. If money is not an issue, I would add 2-3 more DO schools before putting MSU on the list.

I don't see why you would choose MSU over DMU or CCOM unless it's for personal reasons. I just couldn't justify paying that much more if it weren't for family/SO.

Well as of right now ( during the application process), yes money is an issue. As far as when I go to med school, it's a non issue as long as I'm close to home. The whole fiancé thing

Even CCOM? That is by far my number one, above all the rest. I thought i would have the most trouble there.
You're somewhat under the averages, but you're still within reasonable range. DMU with its 3.6 science is the one where you're in trouble.