WAMC @ Top 20 Schools 3.6-3.7, 496 & 516 MCAT. Strong Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotticket

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I made a thread before and got great advice and think I have a good school list. I was wanting to add some reach schools and was wondering if you guys thought I had a chance at any top 20s?

3.6-3.7 GPA, 496 and 516 MCAT Scores, White female from Michigan

Applying Disadvantaged

Overall I have about 400 clinical hours (mostly working with about 1/5 volunteering) and about 150 non-clinical volunteering hours. Shadowing will be about 43 hours.

My research is probably my strongest point. I am currently published on a paper (not first author). I will be taking research full time this summer for credit and should produce (finally) a first author paper. This won't be in my app obviously but I'm going to mention I should finish my project this summer in the section for my lab. Overall research time will be 1000+ hours.

I have a leadership position in a club on campus and have various other ECs such as being a TA and other clubs. ECs besides research I would say are only average.

Thanks you guys, I'm very thankful for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are decent, though I’m curious how you made such a jump in your MCAT score?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your chances are decent, though I’m curious how you made such a jump in your MCAT score?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first test I wasn't prepared at all due to horrific advice and even more horrific lack of research into studying on my behalf.

Second score is more representative of my true potential but I choked on test day. Practice tests for AAMC were 522 and 523.

Thank you for the reply! Even with low MCAT and GPA you think my chances are okay at top 20 schools? I currently have none on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well your GPAs are average, you have two MCATs and if they average them you have a 506. You can apply wherever you want but your best chances are at low/mid tier and DO schools. . Be realistic and decide if you want to be a doctor . Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello all, I made a thread before and got great advice and think I have a good school list. I was wanting to add some reach schools and was wondering if you guys thought I had a chance at any top 20s?

3.6-3.7 GPA, 496 and 516 MCAT Scores, White female from Michigan

Applying Disadvantaged

Overall I have about 400 clinical hours (mostly working with about 1/5 volunteering) and about 150 non-clinical volunteering hours. Shadowing will be about 43 hours.

My research is probably my strongest point. I am currently published on a paper (not first author). I will be taking research full time this summer for credit and should produce (finally) a first author paper. This won't be in my app obviously but I'm going to mention I should finish my project this summer in the section for my lab. Overall research time will be 1000+ hours.

I have a leadership position in a club on campus and have various other ECs such as being a TA and other clubs. ECs besides research I would say are only average.

Thanks you guys, I'm very thankful for all the help.

I suggest the following:
All MI schools
Duke
BU
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

I suggest the following:
All MI schools
Duke
BU
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Thank you kindly! Do you think it is even worth to throw my hat in the ring at any other T20s? I noticed a few on your list.

Thank you kindly! Do you think it is even worth to throw my hat in the ring at any other T20s? I noticed a few on your list.

Just make sure you apply to schools that have a policy of looking more at your highest MCAT rather than taking the average. Some T20 schools that emphasize the highest score include Mayo, Duke, Pitt, and Vanderbilt.

Reactions: 1 user