WAMC, trying for reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popppp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this short.

School: Pitt
Major: Neuroscience

I enrolled in 2 semesters at a university back in the fall of 2016 and spring of 2017. I was going through some pretty major issues at home. My first semester I had a 2.7. The next semester I left campus a week after the semester began and did not withdrawal from my classes so I failed my 4 classes. My school denied a request for a retroactive withdrawal last summer but I plan to keep trying.

I re-enrolled in the spring of 2022 after getting my life in order and have taken 4 semesters worth of classes so far. Since I have been back, I have averaged a 3.85 GPA with a 3.73 sGPA in 51 credits of classes with a higher GPA every semester. After completing biochem over the summer and physics 2 in the fall, I will be done with my premed classes and onto my neuroscience major classes. I have not taken the MCAT yet and have little shadowing/volunteer/research experience as of now.

Realistically, obviously assuming I continue performing at a similar level, is there a decent chance I would ever be accepted to medical school? I understand I've dug myself a huge hole. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your final GPA is over 3.0 and your MCAT is over 500 you could receive DO interviews. You also need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user
If your final GPA is over 3.0 and your MCAT is over 500 you could receive DO interviews. You also need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact.
Yeah, I plan on getting as stellar of ECs as I can. I feel confident that my MCAT will be over 500 and my GPA will 100% be over 3.0. Is MD totally out of the question? Will I likely need to do a post-bacc or SMP or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I plan on getting as stellar of ECs as I can. I feel confident that my MCAT will be over 500 and my GPA will 100% be over 3.0. Is MD totally out of the question? Will I likely need to do a post-bacc or SMP or something?
For MD it depends on your MCAT score, Ideally, you would like a score of 508 or higher. Also depends on your state of residency.

For MD it depends on your MCAT score, Ideally, you would like a score of 508 or higher. Also depends on your state of residency.
Thanks for the info. I'm a PA resident and go to Pitt.

Moved to the general Pre-Medical forum since OP is not looking for a school list and is just asking about reinvention in general.

With this long of a gap, I'd see if your institution has a fresh start policy. These policies are intended for situations like this, and let you essentially "re-start" college without your old coursework contributing to the cumulative GPA of your "fresh start".

By my calculations, you were gone 5 years, and have significantly changed as a person, as evidenced by your academic records.

Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this short.

School: Pitt
Major: Neuroscience

I enrolled in 2 semesters at a university back in the fall of 2016 and spring of 2017. I was going through some pretty major issues at home. My first semester I had a 2.7. The next semester I left campus a week after the semester began and did not withdrawal from my classes so I failed my 4 classes. My school denied a request for a retroactive withdrawal last summer but I plan to keep trying.

I re-enrolled in the spring of 2022 after getting my life in order and have taken 4 semesters worth of classes so far. Since I have been back, I have averaged a 3.85 GPA with a 3.73 sGPA in 51 credits of classes with a higher GPA every semester. After completing biochem over the summer and physics 2 in the fall, I will be done with my premed classes and onto my neuroscience major classes. I have not taken the MCAT yet and have little shadowing/volunteer/research experience as of now.

Realistically, obviously assuming I continue performing at a similar level, is there a decent chance I would ever be accepted to medical school? I understand I've dug myself a huge hole. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
You fit the mold of the classic reinventor, so yes.

You fit the mold of the classic reinventor, so yes.
Will I likely need to do post-bacc or SMP? I did the math and I'll likely graduate with around a 3.35-3.4 cGPA assuming I continue my current trend of course. (assuming I do well on the MCAT obviously)

With this long of a gap, I'd see if your institution has a fresh start policy. These policies are intended for situations like this, and let you essentially "re-start" college without your old coursework contributing to the cumulative GPA of your "fresh start".

By my calculations, you were gone 5 years, and have significantly changed as a person, as evidenced by your academic records.
Appreciate it. Any idea who I should reach out to? Pre-health advisor? Assistant Dean?

Appreciate it. Any idea who I should reach out to? Pre-health advisor? Assistant Dean?
Likely someone in the registrar's office would be a good place to start. Not all schools have policies like this. Academic Amnesty is another term that gets used.

Sometimes it needs to be applied for at the time when you returned to school, but it's worth asking around.

Here's one policy I turned up (not for Pitt) with some googling. Academic Amnesty

It doesn't wipe the stuff of your transcript, but it can be helpful.

Likely someone in the registrar's office would be a good place to start. Not all schools have policies like this. Academic Amnesty is another term that gets used.

Sometimes it needs to be applied for at the time when you returned to school, but it's worth asking around.

Here's one policy I turned up (not for Pitt) with some googling. Academic Amnesty

It doesn't wipe the stuff of your transcript, but it can be helpful.
Appreciate the help a lot. I'll ask around for sure.