WAMC- UGA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkh04984

Reaction score
Schools applying to (if you have any in mind just yet): Just Georgia! (my instate)
Cumulative GPA: 3.52
Last 45 GPA: don't know yet! most likely around a 3.7
Science GPA: 3.52
GRE: verbal - 96th percentile, quant- 55 percentile, analytical - 55 percentile
Veterinary Experience: 2 years of working as vet assistant in a small animal clinic, 50ish hours working in a large animal emergency setting, 20ish hours shadowing in a mixed rural practice, 100+ hours in various small animal clinics while I was still in high school
Animal Experience: worked at the UGA Teaching Dairy for 1 year, briefly worked on a beef farm, worked on a horse farm in high school, fostered several medically complex animals while in college
Research: worked on 2 different research projects in animal science, presented my own research at a conference for dairy science and won
Extracurriculars & Community Service: extensive community service hours volunteering for a local rescue, including coordinating veterinary care for their fosters (30+ dogs to track at once) and designing their website, on exec board for Dairy Science Club for 3 years in undergrad, also on exec board for a national chapter of dairy science that planned an annual conference for dairy science clubs, ambassador for the College of Ag
Honors & Awards:
Other Work Experience:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a first year at UGA, so I thought I could answer this for you. I think you have a pretty good chance! A lot of people in my class have an average GPA around 3.5-3.7, so I think you're fine there. Your GRE score sounds pretty good, but if you don't get in this year, retake it to get your quantitative up closer to your verbal (I think that helped me when I reapplied). You have good experience, pretty similar to what I had. You could broaden it more if you have to reapply. One of the biggest things with UGA is your reference letters. Only you really know how good those are, but UGA will be calling at least 1-2 of them, and you want to make sure they will talk you up like you're the best thing since sliced bread. Since there aren't any interviews, your essays and reference letters are what they have to go on to judge you as a person. If you have any questions about UGA let me know!

Have you already applied for this cycle or are you applying for the next admissions cycle?

If you've already applied, then your gpa's are already determined. They are good and your last 45 estimate is very good. Based on the GRE score guide, your verbal is 165 and your quant is 155. That should be plenty good. Unless you like taking standardized tests, I wouldn't retake a 320.

You didn't post a total # of vet hours, but it looks like it's well over the minimum required 250 hours and is diversified. Your research experience is a nice bonus. Same for extracurriculars and community service.

As Awallace said, it will likely come down to your essays and recommendations. I think you have a solid application. Best of luck!