Feb 18, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

Currently I am considering my next steps for applying to medical school either this cycle or the next. My cGPA is 3.65, sGPA is 3.60 and my latest MCAT score is a 511 (129, 126, 129, 127). I have already applied to medical school for the past two years, both unsuccessful in obtaining an interview. I will say my first attempt at applying to medical school was more to gauge where I was standing and I was able to retake the MCAT and get a better score (504 to 511). This last year I definitely made the mistake in not applying to any DO programs and having a relatively small list of schools. Should I decide to go an apply for this cycle, I will be applying to mostly DO programs. I know that my application lacks a few things. To perfect my application I would look to get shadowing hours from a doctor, include more volunteer hours, and add an additional letter of recommendation from a physician. Since my gap year started it has been difficult for me to get any of these experiences and I have been focusing much of my time in gaining clinical hours as an EMT (40+ hours per week). It worries me that I was not able to accomplish these things for the upcoming application this year but I thought I would try to see what others thought before I made any hard decisions on what to do.

Here's the rest of my application info:

State of Residence: IL

Mixed- Filipino, White

Degree: BA in Biochemistry, Graduated May 2020 from Indiana University Bloomington

LORs: 1 Science Professor, 1 from research professor, 1 non-science course professor (all IU Bloomington Faculty)

ECs:

ER Hospital Shadowing Volunteer- 24 total hours

Phi Delta Epsilon PreMedical Fraternity- Volunteer/ Philanthropy Experience (roughly 32 hours)

ER Hospital Volunteer- Roughly 18 hours

Lab Assistant (Non research)- Paid, part time about 400 cumulative hours

Materials Chemistry Research Lab- 3.5 years experience, listed author on published paper, presented poster presentations for University held events, includes full time research in summer between terms. I was awarded multiple scholarships/grants for this research through university and department funding.

IU Mens Club Volleyball- 4 years- Player, Captain, Executive Board Member

Practice Player for D1 Women's Volleyball- Volunteer experience, about 140 total hours

EMT for private ambulance company- (Not included in last years application, but sent updates as I continued to gain more experience) Over 1000 hours for full time paid employment. This has been a clinical experience, not just an ambulance driver.

I plan on doing a full overhaul on my application from last year if I apply again this year. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated and I will try to respond to any questions as they come up.

Thanks!!!

Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

Reactions: 1 user

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Your ECs are really weak. If that’s what you have now , what did you have the first time you applied? Your stats are okay. But there is nothing on your application that even hints at your desire to be a doctor. Since you have gone through two MD cycles with no interviews I don’t think you should reapply in the upcoming cycle. You might want to think seriously about taking a couple of gap years to build a competitive application. You need clinical experience(paid or volunteer)with face to face patient contact(200+hours) , 50 hours of physician shadowing including hours with a primary care doc and 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering with a focus on serving the unserved/underserved in your community. If you manage to get the basic activities, you would increase your chances for interviews even at some MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.