WAMC - Upward Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RotundRutabaga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I qualify as non-trad by many definitions largely because of what happened the spring of my freshman year. I graduated from a private boarding school in 2012 and got into a top 50 private uni. I was really unfocused and my 1st term grades were not ideal. The following semester I started to do better until I went home for winter break and came out to my parents. The process had a pretty catastrophic impact on my mental health so I did a medical withdrawal that semester.

I then took a year (2013-2014) off to rehab my relationship with my family and develop some focus as to what I wanted to do professionally. I mostly spent time self-studying, helping take care of my disabled brother etc. I ended up graduating undergrad in 2018 and took the MCAT in July 2019 with the following stats:

sGPA: 3.79 (2.71, 4.00, 4.00, 3.94)
cGPA: 3.78 (x2 classes withdrawn and one retaken)

MCAT: 510 (Chem/Phys: 127| Soc/Psy: 127| Bio: 127| CARS: 129)

Volunteering (non-clinical): 200 hours at an LGBTQ+ community center.

I also trained for 24 hours specifically for HIV/testing counseling earlier this year but was unable to proceed with the position training because of COVID.

Research:
75 hours (mostly as lab experience)

TA/Leadership:
120 hours Physics 1 TA| 60 hours molecular biology TA

Clinical experience:
ED Scribe: 600 hours
Outpatient Scribe (ortho trauma): 4,200+ hours

I have letters from a molecular biology professor, the physics professor I TA'd for, a professor from my first institution who taught a literature course and a letter from one of the physicians I work with. I'm an URM (black, Latinx, LGBT), am fluent in Spanish and have a personal/academic interest in health disparities, cardiometabolic disorders, infectious disease (HIV and tropical diseases in particular), disability justice and transgender health.

My AMCAS app was processed 9/16/20. So far I've gotten secondaries from 23/26 schools I've applied to in and out of state. I was cautious to make sure to apply to schools with reasonable median MCAT/GPA. I've also made sure that any schools with median scores above mine had mission statements I deeply resonated with.

Do I have a chance this cycle? Is it too late to add DO schools? I'm 26 currently.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I qualify as non-trad by many definitions largely because of what happened the spring of my freshman year. I graduated from a private boarding school in 2012 and got into a top 50 private uni. I was really unfocused and my 1st term grades were not ideal. The following semester I started to do better until I went home for winter break and came out to my parents. The process had a pretty catastrophic impact on my mental health so I did a medical withdrawal that semester.

I then took a year (2013-2014) off to rehab my relationship with my family and develop some focus as to what I wanted to do professionally. I mostly spent time self-studying, helping take care of my disabled brother etc. I ended up graduating undergrad in 2018 and took the MCAT in July 2019 with the following stats:

sGPA: 3.79 (2.71, 4.00, 4.00, 3.94)
cGPA: 3.78 (x2 classes withdrawn and one retaken)

MCAT: 510 (Chem/Phys: 127| Soc/Psy: 127| Bio: 127| CARS: 129)

Volunteering (non-clinical): 200 hours at an LGBTQ+ community center.

I also trained for 24 hours specifically for HIV/testing counseling earlier this year but was unable to proceed with the position training because of COVID.

Research:
75 hours (mostly as lab experience)

TA/Leadership:
120 hours Physics 1 TA| 60 hours molecular biology TA

Clinical experience:
ED Scribe: 600 hours
Outpatient Scribe (ortho trauma): 4,200+ hours

I have letters from a molecular biology professor, the physics professor I TA'd for, a professor from my first institution who taught a literature course and a letter from one of the physicians I work with. I'm an URM (black, Latinx, LGBT), am fluent in Spanish and have a personal/academic interest in health disparities, cardiometabolic disorders, infectious disease (HIV and tropical diseases in particular), disability justice and transgender health.

My AMCAS app was processed 9/16/20. So far I've gotten secondaries from 23/26 schools I've applied to in and out of state. I was cautious to make sure to apply to schools with reasonable median MCAT/GPA. I've also made sure that any schools with median scores above mine had mission statements I deeply resonated with.

Do have a chance this cycle? Is it too late to add DO schools? I'm 26 currently.
Chances should be excellent. What was your school list?

No, it's not too late to add DO schools.

Chances should be excellent. What was your school list?

No, it's not too late to add DO schools.

1. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
2. Wake Forest School of Medicine
3. Meharry Medical College
4. FAU Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
5. Stritch School of Medicine
6. Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine (NSU M.D.)
7. University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine (USF MCOM)
8. Oregon Health & Science University
9. Universidad Central del Caribe
10. University of Florida College of Medicine
11. Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
12. WSU Boonshoft School of Medicine
13. Central Michigan University College of Medicine
14. Morehouse School of Medicine
15. University of Central Florida College of Medicine
16. University of Minnesota Medical School
17. Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
18. Florida State University
19. Medical College of Wisconsin
20. University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix

I am a Florida resident. I omitted some of the other schools I know I have much lower chances to get into.

Last edited:
1. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
2. Wake Forest School of Medicine
3. Meharry Medical College
4. FAU Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
5. Stritch School of Medicine
6. Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine (NSU M.D.)
7. University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine (USF MCOM)
8. Oregon Health & Science University
9. Universidad Central del Caribe
10. University of Florida College of Medicine
11. Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
12. WSU Boonshoft School of Medicine
13. Central Michigan University College of Medicine
14. Morehouse School of Medicine
15. University of Central Florida College of Medicine
16. University of Minnesota Medical School
17. Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
18. Florida State University
19. Medical College of Wisconsin
20. University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix

I am a Florida resident. I omitted some of the other schools I know I have much lower chances to get into.
Chances are best with the FL schools and the HBCs.

But forget MSUSOM, try U MI instead. Also JHU, U Chicago, UCLA/Drew, Keck, Einstein (you heard me), Howard, SLU, Creighton, Emory, Hofstra, GWU, Gtown, U Cincy, U VM, OH State, U WI, U CO, Tufts, NYU.LI

Reactions: 1 users