DO WAMC Urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctormaybe205

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the new grade replacement policy I would like to know what are my chances. Towards the latter end of my undergrad career my grandmom died and then 3 months later my parents divorced. I delved into a depression and my grades suffered greatly with some classes i've even taken 3 and 4 times. I somehow managed to graduate and recover. I began an Americorps program while retaking classes that had done poorly in and amassed a gpa of 3.85 over my last 30 credit hours. Do I have any shot at a DO school? I'm an Alabama resident if this helps.

URM- AA male

Ugpa: 3.15
Sgpa: 2.xxx
Post-Bacc- 3.85
MCAT: 507

Extracurriculars: Tutored for 2 years, Peer Mentor for 1 year, Camp counselor for the disabled for 2 years and an Americorps member for a year.
Observation hours: 225hrs across Internal Medicine, Anesthesiology, Pathology and Psychiatry

Members don't see this ad.

sGPA is rough. Apply to new schools early. Do you have a DO letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way you can get the sGPA above 3.00 (preferably 3.30) before you apply? If so, I would apply to all of the newer DO schools. Your URM status and solid MCAT will help advocate for you.

If you can't get your sPGA up, not sure. Most schools' cutoffs are at least 3.0 for cGPA and sGPA.

I'm not sure if ACOM tends to prefer in-state applicants, but if so I would say that school is definitely your best shot.

Is there any way you can get the sGPA above 3.00 (preferably 3.30) before you apply? If so, I would apply to all of the newer DO schools. Your URM status and solid MCAT will help advocate for you.

If you can't get your sPGA up, not sure. Most schools' cutoffs are at least 3.0 for cGPA and sGPA.

I'm not sure if ACOM tends to prefer in-state applicants, but if so I would say that school is definitely your best shot.
Good news for you is ACOM and VCOM-Auburn are in state and new schools that seem to accept many students from the underdogs thread. Does that sGPA also include your postbac work as well? If your were not a STEM major and have few sGPA credits, I'd say keep Acing science classes and get your sGPA over that very important 3.0 mark. The difference between a 2.99 and 3.0 is huge. Most adcoms on here say that you need at least two years of acing full time postbac until they will overlook your poor undergrad gpa. There are a few schools that only consider the last 90-120 credit hours (PNWU last 90 credits and MU-COM last 120 credits... I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I know of for sure). If your upward trend just consists of the last 30 credit hours, you may need to add another year or two of postbac or SMP to prove you have changed as a student.

Good news for you is ACOM and VCOM-Auburn are in state and new schools that seem to accept many students from the underdogs thread. Does that sGPA also include your postbac work as well? If your were not a STEM major and have few sGPA credits, I'd say keep Acing science classes and get your sGPA over that very important 3.0 mark. The difference between a 2.99 and 3.0 is huge. Most adcoms on here say that you need at least two years of acing full time postbac until they will overlook your poor undergrad gpa. There are a few schools that only consider the last 90-120 credit hours (PNWU last 90 credits and MU-COM last 120 credits... I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I know of for sure). If your upward trend just consists of the last 30 credit hours, you may need to add another year or two of postbac or SMP to prove you have changed as a student.

I forgot about VCOM-Auburn, good suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At my interview they said that they will offer interviews to all Alabama residents and ultimately want to draw mostly from that region. I think OP would at least get an II.

Reactions: 1 users
Wayne State (an MD school) also looks at your last 30 -60 credits (can't remember the exact number).

You definitely have a chance!!! URM status. You check mark that box, need to write a COMPELLING personal statement about the various road blocks in your life, how you overcame them to reach this point, and tie it all back to how you want to become an osteopathic physician. In fact, you may have a higher chance at some MD schools than DO. It's just how the system works these days.... make sure you apply to both MD and DO, as well as post-bacc's for URM students that have strong linkages to med schools. Like UCI, UCLA, USC, etc etc.

The rest is all speculation. Do everything you can to the best of your ability and sow your seeds, see where you get the hits and go from there! Good luck!!

Edit: By check marking that you are URM, you will NOT be screened out by any MD or DO schools based on your stats by computer, so every school will have a chance to look at your app. Your story is going to play a pivotal role in your chances of admission in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users