WAMC URM 3.6 519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nonpath2MD

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are extremely competitive for medical school, especially as a low SES, URM veteran. Aim high, you are definitely competitive for top tier schools. If you are open to metro areas, you could definitely apply to schools like Harvard, Columbia, NYU, etc. Make sure to balance your list with some solid mid tiers and to apply early.

In terms of the UCs, I would only caution that UC Riverside is a mission driven school. They want applicants who are from, have shown a commitment to, and would like to practice in the Inland Empire.

Reactions: 2 users
You are every med schools wet dream

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you write well and don't come off as a weird sociopath, I think you're golden. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All the UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
Stanford
Harvard
Brown
Yale
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
USF Morsani
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Washington University
St. Louis
U Chicago
Northwestern
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)

Thank you all for your help. I would love to get some inputs from @Goro, @gyngyn, and @LizzyM.
Start at WashU and radiate outwards. Any school is yours.

I suggest:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
UTx Southwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
Case
ALL UCs UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
Kaiser
CalU Med

TL;DR: Your stats and ECs will not be the limiting factor in your application cycle.

Apply to wherever you would like, essentially.

Your biggest hurdle now will be writing essays well and then interviewing well (which are easier hurdles than stats, so I don't anticipate any issues).

You are a stellar applicant. Not many URM combat veterans coming down the pipe. You are competitive at any school in the country. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest:

NYU
Columbia
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
Hopkins
Boston University
Pritzker
Northwestern
Cornell
Yale
Harvard
Brown

Any West Coast school you're interested in, and any other top schools you're interested in. You're not golden but platinum.