MD & DO WAMC: URM, 3.6 cGPA 3.3 sGPA, 503 MCAT non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogomexicano

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.6; sGPA: 3.3
  2. MCAT 503 (124/127/126/126)
  3. Illinois (US Citizen)
  4. Ethnicity Latina (URM)
  5. Undergrad: large public university
  6. Last 30 credits: 4.0
  7. Clinical experience: ~1000 hours (medical assistant at an urgent care clinic)
  8. Non-Clinical Volunteering: volunteered at veteran’s hospital creating interactive presentations to inform veterans on different topics related to health for certain units of the hospital (blind center, pm&r, hospice) (5 years), volunteer by calling caregivers for project developing art activities for dementia patients to study impact of art on preventing cognitive decline (1-1/2 years).
  9. Shadowing: 50 hours primary care, going to shadow neurologist soon
  10. Non-Clinical Work Experience: pharmacy technician (1-1/2 years), local family business (7 years), freelance traditional artist (7 years)
  11. Research: 1 year sociology research at CC (poster presentation), 1 year research in chemistry lab uni (no publications)
Other:
President of Phi Theta Kappa chapter at CC
and was awarded an International and Regional Award (x2) as an individual officer. Honors Program Scholarship recipient at CC. New Student Orientation Team Leader at CC. Dean’s List.

There are a few red flags on my app, primarily that since I transferred in 2020 I had a rough time transitioning to university. A bunch of life changes (parents divorced, had to support family, unstable housing) took place as well that impacted my mental health and ability to study momentarily. I also refuse to take out private loans so I have taken time off during my undergrad and attended part time in order to afford classes with federal loans. There is one term withdrawal on my transcript but I think I have redeemed myself by getting 3 full time semesters of 4.0. Therefore I am graduating in 7 years.

I am unsure if I qualify as first-gen as my mom has a 2 year degree. My dad only graduated high school.

I did not study very hard leading up to my MCAT attempt. I had a lot of fear and anxiety around studying but I decided that instead of voiding my score to just see what I was capable of. I am thinking of retaking but am unsure if it would help considering all of the other issues that I can’t change.

School list:
MD:
UICOM
Rush
Loyola
Carle Illinois

DO:
Midwestern
Touro CA
Touro NY
Nova Southeastern
Michigan State
Western University
TCOM

Let me know if there are any other schools I should add or any other advice.

Edit: added shadowing experience

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Carle Illinois since they are looking for applicants with an engineering background. You could add these MD schools:
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU
Creighton
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You could add these DO schools:
MU-COM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)

Remove Carle Illinois since they are looking for applicants with an engineering background. You could add these MD schools:
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU
Creighton
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You could add these DO schools:
MU-COM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Some of these schools have stat averages that are much higher than mine, would they be considered reach schools?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Some of these schools have stat averages that are much higher than mine, would they be considered reach schools?
Most of these schools are in areas with large Hispanic populations so they are not reaches for a URM Latina applicant.

Reactions: 1 user