WAMC URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modelramen

Reaction score
Archiving.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, I just want to say to make sure to prioritize your mental health. MCAT-retake studying can easily destroy your mental health if you do not take the appropriate steps. That being said, I think you should retake if you're 100% set on those MD schools. Even as an URM, that MCAT and GPA combo will (likely) not get you very far for MD schools in general. BUT only take it when you're ready (i.e. consistently scoring ~510 on practice tests), and if that means taking another year off, I think it'll be worth. Definitely take the AdComs' opinions with more weight, but those are my $0.02.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which URM community are your from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ?
I'm African American. Not fluent in Spanish but pretty close and have worked in Spanish-speaking clinics

Reactions: 1 user
First, I just want to say to make sure to prioritize your mental health. MCAT-retake studying can easily destroy your mental health if you do not take the appropriate steps. That being said, I think you should retake if you're 100% set on those MD schools. Even as an URM, that MCAT and GPA combo will (likely) not get you very far for MD schools in general. BUT only take it when you're ready (i.e. consistently scoring ~510 on practice tests), and if that means taking another year off, I think it'll be worth. Definitely take the AdComs' opinions with more weight, but those are my $0.02.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!

You could apply broadly and give it a shot for MD. But realize that your stats are low even for URM candidates. Make sure to apply to all of your state schools and regional safeties.

If the cycle doesn't work out, then you should consider MCAT retake.

I'm African American. Not fluent in Spanish but pretty close and have worked in Spanish-speaking clinics
You could receive interviews at some MD schools and I suggest all these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Wright State
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Kaiser
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.