DELETED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuckleberryEven

Reaction score
DELETED

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should have a great shot in-state and within region at least. Can you break down your experiences as well in terms of what you did and over how many months or years? For example 100 hours over 6 months?

I think you look great IMO, especially if you can bump up the nonclinical hours by the time you apply. I'm a VA applicant this cycle as well so you can PM me if you want to see my school list. Think obviously you should apply to UVA/VCU/EVMS/VT but there are plenty of OOS-friendly schools and in-region friendly schools like UMD, Rochester, Einstein, etc. that would fit you really well. If you want to as well, you can add some low-yield schools like GW/Georgetown/Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you look great IMO, especially if you can bump up the nonclinical hours by the time you apply. I'm a VA applicant this cycle as well so you can PM me if you want to see my school list. Think obviously you should apply to UVA/VCU/EVMS/VT but there are plenty of OOS-friendly schools and in-region friendly schools like UMD, Rochester, Einstein, etc. that would fit you really well. If you want to as well, you can add some low-yield schools like GW/Georgetown/Tulane
What do you mean by low-yield? And also, what do you think my chances are for schools like Pitt, Boston U, and UCLA? I really like those schools and I was born in CA (I don't know if that justifies as a connection to California).

You should have a great shot in-state and within region at least. Can you break down your experiences as well in terms of what you did and over how many months or years? For example 100 hours over 6 months?
I should also add that I was heavily involved with a lot of important initiatives in Student Assembly relating to diversity and mental health (don't want to go too much in depth to preserve privacy) but I think when it comes to essays I would have a lot to talk bout there too.

low-yield means that those schools get above 10,000 applications so your chances of getting an interview or accepted are a little lower. As for schools like Pitt/BU/UCLA, you definitely have a non-zero chance of admission but I think your GPA to a certain extent and your nonclinical service hours may hold you back a little especially since I know BU and Pitt are very service-heavy.

Makes sense, I definitely will be increasing my non-clinical service hours by the time I apply. But my GPA is within the 25-75% range for these schools so I assumed I had a decent shot for those. Thanks for the help!
You do have a shot. But you have to understand that applying to med school,and getting an acceptance is very tough. Last cycle only 36% of all applicants were accepted at any school. And about half of those were accepted at only one school. So that means around. 64% of all applicants were outright rejected, even stellar applicants . So when you say “I assumed I had a decent shot for those…” you have to put it all in perspective. You certainly have a chance to be accepted but you need to be realistic, you need to develop a broad list of target schools and then throw these three on for fun. There are absolutely no guarantees in this process. Tighten up your application. You have double the amount of shadowing you need, so stop that and shift your focus to nonclinical volunteering. Tutoring/teaching is separate from nonclinical volunteering. Nonclinical volunteering is expected to be focused on the unserved/underserved population in your community. Is the food bank connected to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter? The food bank is okay but I’m not sure how much direct contact you have with the clients, aka people very unlike yourself. You should get out of your comfort zone.
As to a school list, start researching schools by using the MSAR. Your stats will fit lots of schools so start cutting the list down by location, school focus, pass/fail, clinical locations etc..And always apply first to your IS schools. You have your best shot of acceptance at one of those.( I’m not sure but I don’t think being born in California gives you any bonus points. Lots of actual California residents have to go OOS every year for medical school.)

You’ve got time to figure this out so good luck as you move forward.

Sure! I've been doing hospital volunteering since the beginning of my sophomore year so just over a year now. It's pretty standard as hospital volunteering goes, I was in the orthopedics unit and helped discharge patients, help them with their PT, and got to watch some of the procedures being performed. Free clinic I've been doing since January of this year and like I mentioned it was just scribing. All my non-clinical volunteering was started at the beginning of this year. For Red Cross I work with Blood Donation Services and provide supports to those donating blood, I'm tutoring local high school students in history and science, and for the food pantry I help distribute supplies to the needy so lots of interaction with them there. For Student Assembly I was a elected senator freshman year, and then I served as undersecretaries in health and in academics in my sophomore and junior year respectively.

Out of curiosity what would my chances be at T10/T20 schools? Thanks!
I am not sure about the 50 or so "top 20" schools, but have you reached out to any students at those schools to get a better idea of whether there are students similar to you who attend there?

You do have a shot. But you have to understand that applying to med school,and getting an acceptance is very tough. Last cycle only 36% of all applicants were accepted at any school. And about half of those were accepted at only one school. So that means around. 64% of all applicants were outright rejected, even stellar applicants . So when you say “I assumed I had a decent shot for those…” you have to put it all in perspective. You certainly have a chance to be accepted but you need to be realistic, you need to develop a broad list of target schools and then throw these three on for fun. There are absolutely no guarantees in this process. Tighten up your application. You have double the amount of shadowing you need, so stop that and shift your focus to nonclinical volunteering. Tutoring/teaching is separate from nonclinical volunteering. Nonclinical volunteering is expected to be focused on the unserved/underserved population in your community. Is the food bank connected to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter? The food bank is okay but I’m not sure how much direct contact you have with the clients, aka people very unlike yourself. You should get out of your comfort zone.
As to a school list, start researching schools by using the MSAR. Your stats will fit lots of schools so start cutting the list down by location, school focus, pass/fail, clinical locations etc..And always apply first to your IS schools. You have your best shot of acceptance at one of those.( I’m not sure but I don’t think being born in California gives you any bonus points. Lots of actual California residents have to go OOS every year for medical school.)

You’ve got time to figure this out so good luck as you move forward.
Hey, thanks for the feedback and advice! The food bank is connected to a homeless shelter and I deliver food to those who need it sho I guess I have contact with underserved people there. I'll definitely beef up on non clinical volunteering! What are your thoughts on me taking a gap year to address those gaps?

Hey, thanks for the feedback and advice! The food bank is connected to a homeless shelter and I deliver food to those who need it sho I guess I have contact with underserved people there. I'll definitely beef up on non clinical volunteering! What are your thoughts on me taking a gap year to address those gaps?
I think a gap year depends on you. But a gap year never hurt anyone. If you can link up with the homeless shelter or find another opportunity helping the unserved/underserved you might be okay applying in Spring 2022. Are you graduating in 2022? If so you need a plan for that year. That’s technically a gap and ADCOMS will be interested in your plans.

I think a gap year depends on you. But a gap year never hurt anyone. If you can link up with the homeless shelter or find another opportunity helping the unserved/underserved you might be okay applying in Spring 2022. Are you graduating in 2022? If so you need a plan for that year. That’s technically a gap and ADCOMS will be interested in your plans.
Definitely, thing is I'm super young so I think taking a gap year is a good idea and I'm also planning on applying to a couple of research program. And I'm sorry, I mistyped in the original comment but I'm graduating in 2023 not 2022. So probably gives me even more time to strengthen my application.

I am not sure about the 50 or so "top 20" schools, but have you reached out to any students at those schools to get a better idea of whether there are students similar to you who attend there?
No not yet, I don't really known anyone who is a med student but I'll ask at my school or on here.

Definitely, thing is I'm super young so I think taking a gap year is a good idea and I'm also planning on applying to a couple of research program. And I'm sorry, I mistyped in the original comment but I'm graduating in 2023 not 2022. So probably gives me even more time to strengthen my application.
Definitely gives you time to strengthen your application. And that’s what you want to do. You want your application to,stand out for all the right reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 345981

Would these schools be good examples of target schools? I'm trying to find a replacement for UNC Chapell Hill since they obviously aren't very 00s friendly.

I also have the following as reach schools so far: Dartmouth, University of Cincinnati, Rochester, and Brown.

Finally Super hard that I'm doing for lolz: Pitt, UCLA, UVA (since its in-state), Duke, and Mayo.
I don’t do school recommendations or lists. But you have some schools on your list that a very service focused and you currently have minimal service. You also have schools that are low yield because they get over 10k applications and they have to be careful when selecting candidates for interviews.
I’m still confused on when you are applying. Are you applying in June 2022 or June 2023? If June 2022, you should consider a gap year because you don’t have the time you think you have. You said you were young and we know some of your ECs need bolstering. You really only want to apply once with the best possible application. And ADCOMS don’t consider projected hours favorably.

I don’t do school recommendations or lists. But you have some schools on your list that a very service focused and you currently have minimal service. You also have schools that are low yield because they get over 10k applications and they have to be careful when selecting candidates for interviews.
I’m still confused on when you are applying. Are you applying in June 2022 or June 2023? If June 2022, you should consider a gap year because you don’t have the time you think you have. You said you were young and we know some of your ECs need bolstering. You really only want to apply once with the best possible application. And ADCOMS don’t consider projected hours favorably.
I'm applying in 2023 if that clears things up. As far as projected goes, I should easily able to triple my current nonclinical volunteering (600ish hours) and have 560 hours of hospital volunteering and about 400 hours of scribing before applying. Would that be good for service-oriented schools? I'm also doing a data science project next summer, I don't know where that falls in but I'm assuming research which would help for those type of schools I guess.

Last edited:
I don't think you need a gap year. You have >600 hours of clinical experience, >200 hours of non-clinical volunteering, and your research looks good.

I'm applying in 2023 if that clears things up. As far as projected goes, I should easily able to triple my current nonclinical volunteering (600ish hours) and have 560 hours of hospital volunteering and about 400 hours of scribing before applying. Would that be good for service-oriented schools? I'm also doing a data science project next summer, I don't know where that falls in but I'm assuming research which would help for those type of schools I guess.
You probably won’t need a gap year. The service oriented schools are focused on service to the less fortunate in the community. The unserved/underserved need services. Medicine is a service profession and you have to convince ADCOMS you can work with people very unlike yourself. Think outside the box. Maybe volunteer at a Vet Center. The retired vets love to talk to about their experiences. All they need is someone to listen. Or maybe volunteer at a Senior Center. They can always use an extra pair of hands. Are you good in a team sport? Maybe volunteer as a coach for underprivileged kids learning to play basketball. Or find a find a Special Rec Center and help disabled kids play sports, do crafts, play games etc. There are lots of opportunities and since you aren’t applying until 2023. You do have time. But don’t wait too long.

You probably won’t need a gap year. The service oriented schools are focused on service to the less fortunate in the community. The unserved/underserved need services. Medicine is a service profession and you have to convince ADCOMS you can work with people very unlike yourself. Think outside the box. Maybe volunteer at a Vet Center. The retired vets love to talk to about their experiences. All they need is someone to listen. Or maybe volunteer at a Senior Center. They can always use an extra pair of hands. Are you good in a team sport? Maybe volunteer as a coach for underprivileged kids learning to play basketball. Or find a find a Special Rec Center and help disabled kids play sports, do crafts, play games etc. There are lots of opportunities and since you aren’t applying until 2023. You do have time. But don’t wait too long.
Does being a mental health crisis volunteer also work? It's online but it's something I'd love to do.

I don’t know. If you love it I can see you wanting to continue it but certainly in the next 18 months you need to find an in person experience with disadvantaged people. It’s easy to sit at home or school doing the mental health but you need to get out of your comfort zone and get your hands dirty and learn to deal with people unlike yourself. You might find that you really love that too.

Reactions: 1 users