MD & DO WAMC: VA resident and reapplicant, 3.73/509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mangomed99

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice for this upcoming cycle, help on my school list, and anything I can improve in the last few months before the application opens! I really want to make this next cycle count so I appreciate any advice and feedback you can provide!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
    1. cGPA – 3.73, sGPA – 3.64 (upwards trend: improved from ~3.5 --> 3.9 between freshman/sophomore year and junior/senior year)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 504 --> 509 - CP: 128 / CARS: 128 / BB: 126 / PS: 127
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Virginia
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Public Instate
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. ~800-900 hours. 170 at the time of my first application cycle, working as a nursing assistant, volunteering for health clinics, and at a physical therapy office (P.T work was the only volunteering I could get at the time not sure if it counts). The rest was gained in the last 6-7 months working as a medical technician for a gastroenterology office.
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. ~80 hours, didn't do much research as I pursued other opportunities (really wish I had pursued more research though)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. ~ 80 hours, primary care and anesthesiology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 100 hours for local government working with senior citizens, and vaccine clinic to help get people COVID-19 vaccines.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. On executive board for cultural organization at university (2 years), member of competitive school dance team, volunteered for multiple dance competitions, biology TA (2 years), employed as a Peer mentor for incoming freshman (2 years), other standard pre-med ECs and clubs
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Not really an award but I'm working towards my phlebotomy license. I just finished the course and am studying for the national licensing exam soon.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I applied during the current application cycle (2021-2022) and didn't receive any interview invites. I sent in some update letters, but to no avail. I applied only MD at the time. Looking towards this upcoming cycle I want to apply DO and MD rather than MD only. However, I am not sure exactly what DO schools I should be targeting. I didn't have much strong clinical experience during my first application cycle so I got a job as a medical technician early into the cycle in case I would have to reapply (sad that I was right about that lol). I also just continued with volunteering and improving myself as best I could. I've also been reworking my PS and W/A sections and secondary essays in the last few months. Any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated, thanks!
This is my current draft of my school list:
UVA
University of Michigan
Rochester
Georgetown
Drexel
George Washington
Temple
Tulane
Saint Louis University
Creighton University
University of Cincinnati
Ohio State
Western Michigan
Indiana University
Wayne State
University of Arizona - Tucson
Oakland WB
Toledo
University of Wisconsin
VCU
Wake Forest
University of Vermont
Quinnipiac
EVMS
Hackensack Meridian
University of Illinois
Virginia Tech
Central Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your list has several OOS schools that take few applicants without significant ties, especially at your stat level. I would recommend gaining more non-clinical volunteering hours. Look into the local homeless shelter, food bank, Habitat for Humanity, soup kitchen etc.

You can apply to the following:
EVMS
VCU
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Penn State
West Virginia

Chances better at DO. Ensure you have a physician letter. Try:

VCOM
Western (both campuses)
TUNCOM
Touro NY
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
ACOM
LECOM
WVSOM
NYIT
ACOM
CCOM (high tuition FYI)

Reactions: 1 users
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
WVSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your list has several OOS schools that take few applicants without significant ties, especially at your stat level. I would recommend gaining more non-clinical volunteering hours. Look into the local homeless shelter, food bank, Habitat for Humanity, soup kitchen etc.

You can apply to the following:
EVMS
VCU
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Penn State
West Virginia

Chances better at DO. Ensure you have a physician letter. Try:

VCOM
Western (both campuses)
TUNCOM
Touro NY
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
ACOM
LECOM
WVSOM
NYIT
ACOM
CCOM (high tuition FYI)
Thank you for the advice!

You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
WVSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
Thank you for the advice!

For anyone reading, are there any other schools at my stat level in the New York area I should target? I have heavy ties to NY since I had lived there for many years.

!
This is my current draft of my school list:
UVA
NYMC
ALBANY
Georgetown
Drexel
George Washington
Temple
Tulane
Saint Louis University
Creighton University
MIAMI
NOVA.MD
VCOM
PCOM
Wayne
Oakland WB
Toledo
CUSOM
VCU
Wake Forest
University of Vermont
Quinnipiac
EVMS
Hackensack Meridian
NYITCOM
Virginia Tech
TOURO.NY
LECOM.E
LECOM.B
ACOM
NYITCOM.AR
KCOM
WCU
MUCOM
TUNCOM
KCU
UIW
Both WESTERNs
TOURO.CA
Too many donations.

I have modified your list above to a more realistic one.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone reading, are there any other schools at my stat level in the New York area I should target? I have heavy ties to NY since I had lived there for many years.
Even though you are IS, I would not apply to V Tech since you didn’t do much research. Oakland Beaumont and the Jesuit schools such as Loyola expect much more community service.

I do not think it is worth applying to the SUNYs or the high tier private schools in NYC. You could try NYU Long Island.

Reactions: 1 users
Even though you are IS, I would not apply to V Tech since you didn’t do much research. Oakland Beaumont and the Jesuit schools such as Loyola expect much more community service.

I do not think it is worth applying to the SUNYs or the high tier private schools in NYC. You could try NYU Long Island.
That makes sense, thank you for the advice!